Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Tear stains on Poodles eyes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/tear-stains-poodles-eyes-t171727.html)

sewgray 12-11-2011 02:13 PM

Tear stains on Poodles eyes

Does anyone know how to get rid of them for prevent them? Thanks

Lois-nounoe 12-11-2011 02:24 PM

As an "Ole Time" groomer they do have products for eye stains. Wiping with plain water is usually the only thing that really helps. You could also try an inexpensive natural tear drop. I use it on my little long haired cat. Seems to help with the red eye thingy too. It is irriatation that causes the tears that cause the eye stain.

Charlee 12-11-2011 02:31 PM

Had a vet tell me once that the red tearstains were caused by the dyes in dog food, and with Jake, we found that to be true...if we fed him "red" food, he'd have the stains...when we stuck with Iams (a tan colored food) he didn't have the stains.
Had a groomer tell us that we should be washing his face everyday anyway...that the tears can cause sores on dogs with sensitive skin...we started that, but he took over himself and would wash his face like a cat! :)

suern3 12-11-2011 03:54 PM

We use a product called Angel Eyes for our very white Maltese, Joey. People often ask us how his face stays so white, no tear stains! Our local Humane Society sells it, so I was confident to try it. It is also available on Amazon. We just sprinkle it on his food. He doesn't even seem to notice and he is very picky. We have been using it for about 5 years now with great results. We had tried several products to wash the tear stains that did not work at all and we are not very good about washing his face. This is great stuff. Hope you give it a try.

SouthPStitches 12-11-2011 03:56 PM

My Vet says to use saline solution and cotton balls to sooth and remove any doggy eye boogers as hubby calls them.

Tink's Mom 12-11-2011 05:15 PM

I take a wet cotton ball to wipe Tink's eye's every day. It eliminates the stains under her eyes.

sewgray 12-12-2011 05:18 AM

That is what I've been using, a cotton ball or wash rag with just warm water. Didn't want to put anything on him that might harm his eyes. I was/am going to try a little no tears baby shampoo if I can remember to buy some. Since it's okay for our eyes I thought it would be okay for him. Thanks for the replies.

Joset 12-12-2011 06:07 AM

Use cotton balls in stead of a washcloth or another
rag you may use. because they have been washed
and may have some fabric softerner on the cloth
and could hurt your animals eyes.

Jingle 12-12-2011 07:50 PM

Keeping the hair around the eyes out of the eyes will lessen eye watering.

Grace creates 12-12-2011 08:00 PM

Putting a half teaspoon of apple cider vinigar in their water bowl prevents this and keeps them really healthy to