Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Techinical ? on Ipod nano and Kindle Fire HD (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/techinical-ipod-nano-kindle-fire-hd-t215656.html)

Raggiemom 03-06-2013 11:49 AM

Techinical ? on Ipod nano and Kindle Fire HD

If anyone has an Ipod nano (or touch), can I sort my music by category (Celtic, classic country, classical) and then only play the category I'm in the mood to listen to?

I have a Kindle Fire and love it. The only thing I don't like about it is that I can't remove the book covers from my Kindle without deleting the actual book from the library. And I have tried tapping on the corner of the book cover and trying to delete them that way. The device only allows me to remove maybe one out of ten books that way. I have quite a few books on mine and would like to archive the books after I read them so I only have unread books on the Kindle. It would make it easier for me to figure out what I want to read next. Yes, I know that's lazy! :) Does the Kindle Fire HD let you delete the book covers and just have the book in your amazon library?

Thanks for any and all help.

happylab 03-06-2013 04:59 PM

I have a nano I-pod touch. I down loaded most of my CD's and placed them in different music Playlist. You have the standard set up playlist and playlist titles you can set up. I did this through I-tunes. In one playlist My favorites, I have over 500 songs. Another one has over 2000 songs down loaded. I just heard I can down load free music from the library. I'm going to have to check that out.
As for books My nano I-pod touch lets me down load apps which have amazon, nook and library app (overdrive app). The amazon and library app allows me to get rid of books in archive. Then I can up load the book again if I want. These two are my 2 favorite book apps for me.
My advice, if you plan on buying an i-pod, buy the nano I-pod touch. It's like having a I-phone without the phone. It may cost a little more, but well worth the money. It has music, camera, e-mail, photos, apps from apple, you can down load movies, books, Netflix/hulu app ect. Also get as much memory as you can afford. This little gadget has 90% of the capabilities of my I-pad. Can you tell this is one of my favorite gadgets? LOL

jeank 03-06-2013 05:42 PM

If all your kindle books came from amazon, then they are stored on your amazon kindle account. so If you want to delete the read books from the device, that would be ok, leaving only the unread books. if you want it back, just go to your account "manage my kindle". there is a link to send to your kindle.

I own lots of the free books and doing this helps me to know what I read already.

Ginaky 03-06-2013 06:05 PM

On the Kindle, if you hold your finger on the book cover for a few seconds you will have three options--add to favorites, remove from device or remove from carousel. If you then choose remove from device, it will be stored on your amazon account. If you chose remove from carousel, it will still be on the kindle but not showing on the home page. As jeank said, to get them back if you remove them, you just log into your amazon account and can download them again if you want. I love my Kindle Fire HD! And I read 10-15 books a month on it.

Raggiemom 03-07-2013 04:43 AM

Thank you! :)

Rose Marie 03-07-2013 05:50 AM

My Fire refuses to delete. It puts an arrow in the bottom corner but leaves it on the screen.
I can delete if I go online to Amazon but thats a hassle.

AZ Jane 03-07-2013 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by Rose Marie (Post 5910877)
My Fire refuses to delete. It puts an arrow in the bottom corner but leaves it on the screen.
I can delete if I go online to Amazon but thats a hassle.

Just did a test. Mine did exactly the same. Still there with a little arrow in the corner. I thought maybe it will disappear if I power down and then back up, Nope still there. I wish I had waited and gotten the new Paperwhite edition. I had an original which I loved but dropped. I hate the glare on the Fire!!!!!!!

Raggiemom 03-07-2013 07:36 AM

That's what happens on my Fire and why I was considering upgrading to the Fire HD. It drives me crazy looking at all the book covers because I can't remember which ones I read and which ones I didn't! Mom would love my old Fire if I switched.

AZ Jane 03-07-2013 07:36 AM

@ Rose Marie, I went to Amazon and found some info that might help you. When you turn your Kindle on and are at the "page" where your books are listed, at the top of the page , there are several buttons.

Books Cloud Device Store >
By Arthur By Recent By Title

If the "Cloud" button is pressed, all your books will show. If the "Device" button is pushed, only the ones in your device will show. IE those with the arrow will disappear. Does that help??

WMD926 03-07-2013 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by AZ Jane (Post 5911177)
Just did a test. Mine did exactly the same. Still there with a little arrow in the corner. I thought maybe it will disappear if I power down and then back up, Nope still there. I wish I had waited and gotten the new Paperwhite edition. I had an original which I loved but dropped. I hate the glare on the Fire!!!!!!!

You can change the background on your Kindle Fire. I changed mine from white to cream and it is much easier to read on it.