Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   To Thank You All For Being Such Neat People (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/thank-you-all-being-such-neat-people-t93782.html)

Robin H 01-25-2011 12:24 PM

When I signed on here, I had mentioned that I had a bad car accident.

August 13th, I was heading north less than a block from my home when a guy heading south cut me off with a left turn so he could get into a parking lot driveway. He smashed into the front wheel on my driver's side, and plowed me up over a curb and into a block wall. My knees smashed into the dash board, my right ankle was jammed onto the pedal. My left thumb was jammed back into its joint and won't budge, my left wrist, arm and shoulder are all messed up. I had a concussion, whiplash, back and neck injuries, and nerve damage to my legs. I have been bedridden until recently.

A neurologist that I saw last month had the nerve to tell me that I would never walk or drive again.

"Well, I'll show you," I thought, and decided that I had to take matters into my own hands. With the help of a walker and a cane, I am getting better at walking every day. I found that it is next to impossible to push the foot pedal on my sewing machine but I had the determination to do it and I work at it a little at a time. To sew without the use of my left thumb is an enormous challenge, especially when my whole left arm is weak and painful and just about every other part of my body is in pain 24 hours a day.

I made the Raggedy Ann and her clothes using my own pattern, some time ago. I hope to be able to get back to that level of sewing some day. Until then, struggling with another pair of potholders will keep me in the "quilting" realm.

Although I have only been at the quilting board a short time, you have all been so kind with your encouragement and positive comments, not only to me but to each other. It brightens my day to be "around" such kind and thoughtful people.

I have an appointment with an orthopedic doctor tomorrow. Hopefully he will give me a better prognosis. Wish me luck?

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 01-25-2011 12:26 PM

You go girl!!! Things may never be exactly the same, but adaptaions can be made and it sounds like you are doing it.

amma 01-25-2011 12:29 PM

((((HUGS)))
With your grit and determination, I have no doubt that you will go even further than where you are now. A good and postive state of mind is your best bet now, but you already know that don't you :wink:
Sending you lots of postive thoughts and a basket full of good luck!! :D:D:D

QuiltnCowgirl 01-25-2011 12:33 PM

What an awful experience! I hope that you continue to progress & regain your strength & mobility. Hopefully the orthopedic doc will be more encourageing than the previous doc, expecially after seeing what you have accomplished on your own.

Was wondering if a knee lever control might be easier for you for now? Is this something you could convert your sawing machine & cabinet/table to for the time being? Maybe with the help of some folks here? Just a thought that came to mind as you described using your foot pedal, & especially since I am sure that being able to sew is very theraputic to you.

M.E.H. 01-25-2011 12:34 PM

Do not let them tell you NEVER. I have a grandson that they said would never walk. He is on the school Baseball team and rides a bike. He walks and runs. :D

grannyQ 01-25-2011 12:35 PM

Hope everything goes well at your appointment. No one knows the pain until they go through it themselves. Hang in there.

craftybear 01-25-2011 01:09 PM

Hugs to you, please keep us up to date on your progress

Craftybear

Deara 01-25-2011 01:14 PM

Keeping you in my prayers.

Blessings to you,
Sandi

Jim's Gem 01-25-2011 01:19 PM

I hope and pray that he will be able to give you some better news.
Many times it just takes a different doctor with a little different specialty and they may know what can be done to help you.

Charlee 01-25-2011 01:22 PM

You GO GIRL!! You have an amazing attitude that is going to see you through this! I'm proud to be associated with you!!

Will keep you in my prayers!