Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   thin nails (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/thin-nails-t61890.html)

true4uca 08-28-2010 02:12 PM

Any suggestions for stronger nails. My are really thin. I'm a life long nail biter, I feel quitting smoking must be easier. I've pretty much finallly almost stopped. Long car trips seem to be my downfall. Still working on that. When they get past my finger tips several of them continually split. I take daily vitamins inculding biotin.

sueisallaboutquilts 08-28-2010 02:15 PM

Have you tried any of the Sally Hansen products?? They are really good and don't cost an arm and a leg. You can get them at any drug store.
I don't have problems with my nails but have in the past. Those products are good. I also use gloves a lot in the winter and for jobs around the house with cleaners, etc.

sueisallaboutquilts 08-28-2010 02:17 PM

I just thought of something else. Have you had a physical lately?? Nails are like little windows into health problems sometimes. Quitting biting is a good thing!! Just some thoughts here :)

Sadiemae 08-28-2010 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
Have you tried any of the Sally Hansen products?? They are really good and don't cost an arm and a leg. You can get them at any drug store.
I don't have problems with my nails but have in the past. Those products are good. I also use gloves a lot in the winter and for jobs around the house with cleaners, etc.

These didn't help me. I am trying vitamins now. We shall see.

lynnie 08-28-2010 02:20 PM

when i was 18 i got bracres, thqt curedme. they are still thin, but vitamins help

true4uca 08-28-2010 02:30 PM

I've tried all the affordable products. I just had a physical,no problems. I do take Aleve several times a week, when old arthur bothers me too much. That's it for meds.

donnajean 08-28-2010 02:31 PM

There is a vitamin for Skin, Hair, & Nails. CVS sometimes has it. Last I got was at Walmart. I started taking it agian for thinning hair, but my nails are now much better than they were.

Originally Posted by true4uca
Any suggestions for stronger nails. My are really thin. I'm a life long nail biter, I feel quitting smoking must be easier. I've pretty much finallly almost stopped. Long car trips seem to be my downfall. Still working on that. When they get past my finger tips several of them continually split. I take daily vitamins inculding biotin.

nativetexan 08-28-2010 03:01 PM

oh my nails are terrible and cuticles and my Doctor never pays any attention.

Sadiemae 08-28-2010 03:29 PM

I bought the same vitamins that Donnajean talked about, I hope they work. They grow, but when they break it hurts.

bjnicholson 08-28-2010 03:33 PM

My nails have been much better since my doc put me on Caltrate 600+D. Also, I retired and don't do any of the things that used to break them when I was working!!