Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   trying to remember to be grateful for the good things . . . (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/trying-remember-grateful-good-things-t19520.html)

bearisgray 04-28-2009 08:38 AM

I've been reading various postings from some of the members - so many of you have serious health issues and major losses to deal with -

Why do I get so perturbed (much nicer word than the one I really want to use) about trivial things??

Anyone else get their grundies in a bunch over little incidents that really aren't worth a second thought?

Ducky 04-28-2009 09:08 AM

I think that getting irritated at the little things in life is just human. Hearing about the tragedies and difficulties that others in this world have really helps put life in perspective, doesn't it?

I had a friend once say, "It's not the elephants in the living room that get you, it's the ants in the kitchen."

sewjoyce 04-28-2009 09:13 AM

Yep, sometimes I get my undies in a crunch over the little things, too. Then I have to stop and remind myself that I'm relatively healthy, have enough to eat, my hubby, grandkids and kids are healthy, and I have enough fabric (and time) to play and lots of friends here!!:D :D

bearisgray 04-28-2009 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Ducky
I think that getting irritated at the little things in life is just human. Hearing about the tragedies and difficulties that others in this world have really helps put life in perspective, doesn't it?

I had a friend once say, "It's not the elephants in the living room that get you, it's the ants in the kitchen."

My Mom's saying was: "It's not the mountains to climb that get one down, it's the sand in one's shoes."

But I always wondered why one couldn't stop and dump the sand out of one's shoes.

The other saying that I've always wondered about is"

"Well, you made your bed. Go lay in it."

Any law against getting up and making it over?

BlueChicken 04-28-2009 12:20 PM

I think you need to be careful sometimes.... pointing out someone who is worse off *can* have the effect of negating the original person's feelings.

There is always someone who is worse off, that's true, but it doesn't mean the things that are bugging you are not important. :-)

Your priorities in life are set by your experiences, and everyone is so different.

It is a good thing to focus on the happy things in life, that's true, but don't feel guilty about the things that bug you. :-)

littlehud 04-28-2009 01:53 PM

There are lots of things that irk me everyday, yet when the day is over and I think about my three great kids that live with me and get hugs and "I love you"s from my Grand daughter I know I am blessed and it's easier to let the other thing go. Not to say they aren't back the next day, but I can cope with them better.

MadQuilter 04-28-2009 03:47 PM

Life has the ability to bring great happiness as well as great sadness, but the "everyday" variety deals with little things. Everyday life is a rut among small joys, and it is the small irritations that seem to get my attention.

My DH is an optimist and he deals with life in stride. An obstacle is a challenge to be mastered. I lean more toward realism, and manage to have great expressions of personal drama :twisted: DH thinks that I would not do well if I did not have some turmoil in my life, so I'll deal with whatever life has to toss my way.

mommaB 04-28-2009 04:10 PM

I think alot of it has to do with how out of control things make you feel. It can be a big problem, but if I have a plan and see a light out there somewhere, its not so upsetting as the smaller things that I have no control over. Seems the more stuff you go through, the easier it gets and the faster I get over it.

Stitching4Fun 04-29-2009 05:09 AM

I have found that the little things we complain about are not really worth the breath we use to do it with. What happens?......we complain, get ourselves all worked up (raise the blood pressure.....making things worse) and what we are complaining about is still there. So we tend to do more harm to ourselves then it seems.

I am not saying this is the case for everything. Some things do need attention, but we harm ourselves getting upset.

Has anyone read "Don't Sweat the Small Stuff".? Fantastic book. I gave it to my son when he felt that the world was coming down on him. I don't think he read it, but I tried to explain to him that you can't make a big thing out of something so small.

I am thankful each day that I get out of bed. It is all in the way you look a things.

Barb

Ninnie 04-29-2009 06:11 AM

I wake up every morning thankful for all I have, a great family, a fantastic husband, all healthy. As we get older, we learn to let go of the small things.

I love this saying:

I cried because I had no shoes, and then I met a man that had no feet.

or:

Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things!

Ninnie