Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Turning on the Heat (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/turning-heat-t153894.html)

MiniatureQuilts 09-18-2011 09:28 AM

It's a challenge we play up here every year. Snow can actually fall in September and we had 3 MAJOR snowstorms up until Memorial Day just a few years back. My sister-in-law refuses to turn it on until Oct. 1st - I am weak and I caved. The overnight temperature was about 34 and the daytime high barely into the 60's. The house got down to 65 degrees and I turned the heat on.......
From Skaneateles Lake - the most beautiful of the Finger Lakes...people don't expect the state of NY to be so cold and snowy. We get Lake Effect snow from 2 of the Great Lakes.

loves_2_quilt 09-18-2011 09:31 AM

I would have turned the heat on too! Our highs and lows aren't that yet, but I am a sissy and want it some what warm. We haven't turned on the heat yet, but the air doesn't come on now.

Sadiemae 09-18-2011 09:32 AM

My heat came on, but I got up and turned the thermostat way down so it would go back off. Can't afford to pay the heating bill this early...

donnajean 09-18-2011 09:34 AM

It has to be Oct. before I switch over to heat as well. I like it cool when I sleep & we are still getting to the 60's during the day.

sunni 09-18-2011 10:02 AM

I believe in being warm and comfortable. I haven't had to turn the heat on yet, but came close. At this time of the year I will try an extra blanket when I am watching tv, if that doesn't work, the heat will be turned on :)

It is very pretty where you live :) I love the finger lakes. My kid's stepmother has family in your town.

robin

jaciqltznok 09-18-2011 10:02 AM

you big sissy....hehehe...I would have turned it on long before it hit 68! One can not let moisture get into the computer or the fabric you know!!!

Glassquilt 09-18-2011 10:06 AM

DH is on blood thinners so when the house got to 62 I turned the heat on. That's the official story.

Rose L 09-18-2011 10:11 AM

We've been in the 30's at night and 50's during the day. We turned the heater on (we don't have whole house furnaces in this part of the country since there is no natural gas). We turn it up just enough to take the chill off in the morning and at night before bed time. Other wise, the sweaters have come back out and an extra blanket has been put on the bed. It is waaay too early for using much propane yet. We save that for when it's MINUS 30F. Ha!

Quilter7x 09-18-2011 10:15 AM

We have turned our heat on also, but just to warm up the house early in the morning. I also believe in being comfortable, not going by what the date is on the calendar.

virtualbernie 09-18-2011 10:19 AM

I find the older I get the less I can tolerate cold. I haven't turned on the heat yet but I did break out the winter pj's.