Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   typOs (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/typos-t164358.html)

Lioness3xs 10-30-2011 06:19 AM

Why is it that I when type a message to post and proof read it over and over to make sure the words are spelled correctly or make sense, the minute that I hit send and it's posted, the error appears magically for the whole world to see? Can gnomes live in your keypads?

QuiltnNan 10-30-2011 06:21 AM

LOL, that's why printed media used to have proof readers... it is difficult to see your own mistakes.

DogHouseMom 10-30-2011 06:22 AM

Read it backwards.

Backwards it reads.

That's how editors proof. You see spelling and other errors easier because your not "expecting" to see the next word and "expecting" to see it correctly. If I wrote it, and I know the next word is 'quilt' but I typed 'guilt' ... I may not see it unless I read it backwards then I'll ask myself "why is the word guilt in that sentence"?

Phyllis42 10-30-2011 06:34 AM

I used to be an excellent speller, typist, proof reader! Age? :roll:

Lioness3xs 10-30-2011 06:35 AM

I use this trick alot but never with postings, I want to hurry up and get in on the conversation. I'll try to make a mental note to slow down and breathe between sentences. My business teacher in h.s. taught me this trick but I still missed the word navy in a script I was typing so when the reader spoke the word came out nave. This scene still plays around in my brain from time to time.

athomenow 10-30-2011 06:40 AM

That's why there's an edit button!

NanaCsews2 10-30-2011 06:46 AM

Have you read a good book lately? Many times I see typos and incorrect words in print. Does it really matter? Shouldn't. We all get the gist of what you mean. Even for those who don't spell check, don't know their way around a computer, fingers don't work like they want them to on a keyboard. We all should understand what you are trying to say and let it go. I was taught speed reading in junior high. All the typos mean nothing because I know I can get through a misplaced letter or two or misspelled words. Now, saying what you want to say and it coming out totally different-that is a different story and one I am guilty of. :)

jmabby 10-30-2011 06:56 AM

Gnomes are in my keypad, hard to get rid of them

Willa 10-30-2011 07:25 AM

Happens here too.

patricej 10-30-2011 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by Lioness3xs
Why is it that I when type a message to post and proof read it over and over to make sure the words are spelled correctly or make sense, the minute that I hit send and it's posted, the error appears magically for the whole world to see? Can gnomes live in your keypads?

you have apparently stolen my keyboard.

i swear ... somebody has switched all the letters and keys around on it.

that's my story, and i'm stickin' to it. :lol: