Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   UGH how many more will I have to buy? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/ugh-how-many-more-will-i-have-buy-t27496.html)

justwannaquilt 10-22-2009 04:51 PM

My husband had to put his cat to sleep back in July (right after my husband's birthday). In August we went and he picked out a kitten from a local rescue. Brought him home he is CRAZY. ok fine I can deal with this. Then one day the babys pacifier was GONE! the cat had ate it. Then nipples started missing out of the cabinet. then the baby would wake me up in the middle of the night to eat, I would search for the "bink" so he could have it while I was fixing a bottle. and it would be GONE again.

To cut the story short the cat steals the pacifiers from the baby and bites the nipple off of them. Then just leaves both pieces in the floor. I have even went so far as to get the binky leash the cat will still get up next to Liam (the baby) and chew the nipple off. Pacifiers are 3.97 for TWO and we go through about 3-5 a WEEK! not counting bottle nipples that he eats! Which I pay 3.98 for two of those. I fixed him of the bottle nipples I now wash them and they go in the fridge!

I know so many pets get stuck in rescue and the pound for stuff like this and I don't want to do that to this kitten that WE CHOSE! But good grief i can't afford this!. and on top of it here I am sicker than a dog and the baby starts crying. I go check on him and he is crying because he (the cat) got in the bedroom and stole the pacifer out of the babys mouth! Now I either wait till 12 (midnight) when my husband get off work, or load all three kids up and go to walmart for binks! (I am going to try waiting since i have one in bed already!)

Has anyone ever dealt with this and how did you stop it?

and NO I can not take the pacifier away from the baby as much as I would like to he has a case of reflux and the pacifier helps keep everything DOWN!!!

marsye 10-22-2009 05:10 PM

does the cat take them out of the babys mouth???? If so I would give the cat away asap before it harms the baby!

bearisgray 10-22-2009 05:11 PM

That is a unique problem. Hope someone can help you solve it.

amma 10-22-2009 07:20 PM

Maybe leave a few cheap nipples around with some nasty tasting stuff on them? Nothing that would hurt kitty, just discourage him from wanting them.

Baren*eh*ked_canadian 10-22-2009 07:27 PM

Tabasco sauce on some for him to find... he'll do it once or twice and learn.

patricej 10-23-2009 01:05 AM

have you asked a vet for advice?

this is a stab in the dark ... a truly wild guess ... maybe the kitten was weaned too soon and is pursuing some instinctive need to suckle.

Tippy 10-23-2009 02:06 AM

OK.. I'm not a Vet or an animal psychologist, but here goes. I have one cat who would, I swear, climb mount Everest to get hold of a (real) rubber band and chew it up and eat it. She also eats thread... yep that's a pain, and a few other types of plastic bits, so we have to be VERY careful of them as some can be quite harmful.. I don't think it's the suckling thing because of the difference in nipple sizes.. (honestly, ever look at a cat's nipple?) I think it's the material.. our other cat can ferret out one of those "wrapped" elastics for ponytails from across the room.. he doesn't eat them, just plays with them and steals them.I don't know what you do about it.. but be careful if you use some food substance on them as garlic, onion and that sort of thing are not good for cats, and can be fatal.

mic-pa 10-23-2009 02:07 AM

Get rid of the cat, it is not worth it to have it in the same room with the baby. Marge

Up North 10-23-2009 02:38 AM

could you just shut baby's door so the cat can't get in? Our cat has a thing for those foam earplugs, Will search out DH hiding spot and get them every time.

reneebobby 10-23-2009 03:11 AM

I have know clue but maybe a bunch of toys or like your doing lock them up.