Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   War Horse Movie (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/war-horse-movie-t176424.html)

Mona Marie 01-23-2012 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by mayday (Post 4896398)
I wonder how many horses were hurt making the film.

None! ASPCA where there all the way.

Greenheron 01-23-2012 08:33 AM

Millions of horses died during WWI and were slaughtered for food after the armistice. The War marked the end of "horse power" for the developed nations as mechanization advanced. Some men volunteer--some men are drafted but the animals wereallconscripts.

Our ancestors came to America for religious and economic freedom, yes, but we forget that many came to escape the unending wars of Europe in which they were unwilling participants or innocent victims. During our Revolutionary War, peasants from Hess were forced into uniform by their overlord and then sent as mercenaries to America for no reason than to line his pockets.

The official line about the executed dogs was that they were considered too dangerous to be returned to civilian homes. A tragedy, but they were trained to kill.

damaquilts 01-23-2012 09:57 AM

I haven't seen the movie yet but will. I hate war movies however... I strongly believe we need to be reminded of the horrors that have happened in our past so we don't keep repeating them. People don't like to see pictures of the dogs harmed in fighting either. Too graphic. I say show it till everyone says its HAS to stop. Most horrific things that people do to animals and to other humans is based on greed.

pasovasz 01-23-2012 10:33 AM

I saw the play and the movie. Cried through both, despite the outcome.

The horrors of war continue to this moment.

The BEST ever "allegory" that I saw was an original Star Trek episode, where war was "sanitized" by giving everyone a number and when your number was called, you left what you were doing and just "disappeared" (were killed humanely)

That way, there was no injury, no property destruction. In some ways this is the best way to "go" but ........

damaquilts 01-23-2012 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by pasovasz (Post 4902746)
I saw the play and the movie. Cried through both, despite the outcome.

The horrors of war continue to this moment.

The BEST ever "allegory" that I saw was an original Star Trek episode, where war was "sanitized" by giving everyone a number and when your number was called, you left what you were doing and just "disappeared" (were killed humanely)

That way, there was no injury, no property destruction. In some ways this is the best way to "go" but ........

Hmm .. I vaguely remember that one.. Come to think of it I don't remember seeing it on any of the marathons. Does any one remember the commercial from the 70's where the leaders had to fist it out on a hillside. I always did like that one. :-)

quiltmau 01-23-2012 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Greenheron (Post 4902325)
Millions of horses died during WWI and were slaughtered for food after the armistice. The War marked the end of "horse power" for the developed nations as mechanization advanced. Some men volunteer--some men are drafted but the animals wereallconscripts.

Our ancestors came to America for religious and economic freedom, yes, but we forget that many came to escape the unending wars of Europe in which they were unwilling participants or innocent victims. During our Revolutionary War, peasants from Hess were forced into uniform by their overlord and then sent as mercenaries to America for no reason than to line his pockets.

The official line about the executed dogs was that they were considered too dangerous to be returned to civilian homes. A tragedy, but they were trained to kill.

TRAINED is the operative word here. I have had a military trained dog sit on my lap and give kisses to children. I would trust that dog before I would ever trust and untrained one. The reason they were killed is that they were expendable-just dumb animals-not worth the time or money to bring them home.

MAN is the worst animal out there!!

TanyaL 01-23-2012 12:47 PM

Not every military trained dog is trained to kill. We hear lots of stories now about dogs who are shipped home to retire as pets.

Greenheron 01-23-2012 01:20 PM

My brother adopted a beautiful, military-trained German Shepherd dog, who for some minor fault was washed out of the service before active duty. He knew and responded correctly to dozens of commands and our whole family loved him. The military line was those dogs who had seen combat service were too dangerous to bring home. I do not agree with the military line--it was a tragedy. Protection dogs are trained to pursue and apprehend and still function in a home situation. The country barely provides for human veterans suffering in mind, body and spirit so it's no surprise that canine veterans were written off. Our extended family includes three GSDs, two mutts, a Doberman, a Rotweiller, a Tibetan spaniel, a JRT, and two combat veteran humans.

mountain deb 01-23-2012 04:18 PM

Nativetexan: I am with you. It is best I do not see this movie either.

handquilter 01-23-2012 04:50 PM

My husband was in World war 2 and when he came home he never talked about it.Two days before he died 65 years later he said to me"I have saw things no human person should ever have to see"" I knew he was thinking of his war years.Handquilter