Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Watch out for Needles! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/watch-out-needles-t89369.html)

Abuelita 01-10-2011 01:42 PM

I have been sewing for over 40 years and have endured many complaints from my family over dropped needles and pins that they have found on the carpet with their feet - it was my turn on Weds. nite. Unfortunately I thought it was just a "poke" and walked around on my foot on Thursday, unknowingly forcing the needle deeper into the bottom of my foot. After an x-ray on Friday afternoon revealed the needle deeply imbedded, I spent the next few hours in the emergency room while they determined the best course of action. A surgeon with a flouoroscope-sp? was called in to remove the needle and two minutes after he made the incision he found it! Needless to say after a weekend with my foot up and no sewing I have learned my lesson - slippers on at all times and pick up those needles (and pins) whenever they are dropped!

sewcrafty 01-10-2011 01:51 PM

OMG! {{{{{HUGS}}}}} I hope you're all right. Please be careful.

craftybear 01-10-2011 01:57 PM

ouch, take care of yourself!

cathyvv 01-10-2011 01:59 PM

Hurts me to even think about it!

lyndad 01-10-2011 02:27 PM

Ouch, makes my stomach turn, take care.

Tink's Mom 01-10-2011 02:31 PM

sorry to hear that you did this...I have done it, too. Broke one off in the foot.
I highly recommend a light/magnet that is an extension magnet
that looks like a pen. You can pick one up from Newark Dressmaking supplies. They have a catalog online...it was only about $4, but I have bought them for gifts for several relatives.

quiltbugs 01-10-2011 02:49 PM

OMG, that same thing happened to me about 20 years ago! A darning needle broke off in my foot, and I went to the emergency room, and they scheduled surgery for a few days later. The best part was they sent me home to wait til the scheduled surgery -- with a set of crutches and a prescription for MASSIVE amounts of painkillers because they assumed I was in so much pain, but really, it never even hurt. (THESE days if you go to the doctor doubled over in pain, they tell you to take a tylenol.)

littlehud 01-10-2011 03:12 PM

ouch.......that makes my foot hurt. I always wear shoes but my family is at risk.

sewmuchmore 01-10-2011 03:36 PM

Thank goodness I have hardwood floors and it is easy to find the pins. This is one to the thing my hubby and I are at odds now, he wanted to carpet the shop. I want to use wood floors. Not hardwood I can't afford it. I just want to poly the plywood. :roll:

cherrio 01-10-2011 03:46 PM

I have a 30 lb pin finder. My dog Bella finds them and takes them in the livingroom for me to find. 1 at a time. I think the cats jump up and knock the pins down to wear Bella can reach them. I haved warned Bella that I think it's a plot against her.