Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Ways to stop procrastination (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/ways-stop-procrastination-t136135.html)

redkimba 07-08-2011 01:09 PM

from Dr. Weil. This nothing that hasn't been recommended here, but it was interesting to see it as a list:

1.Break large jobs into small ones. Start with a yearly plan, break it down into months, then weeks, then days. Feel free to specify detailed tasks for the days and weeks only a month or so in advance.

2.Organize your environment. Chaotic surroundings can be distracting and stressful, and pull your focus from the task at hand.

3.Schedule your time. If you need to, awake an hour earlier or use part of your break time as a temporary strategy to get tasks accomplished.

4.Set reasonable goals. Trying to achieve too much in too little time can actually set you back.

5.Set deadlines to accomplish your larger tasks. When you achieve them, treat yourself - some flowers or a small piece of dark chocolate are appropriate and satisfying rewards.

6.Pace yourself. Work on a task you've been postponing for ten minutes and then decide whether or not to continue. If you discontinue the task, schedule another time to get it done.

ptquilts 07-08-2011 01:12 PM

I find when I am putting something off, if I ask myself, "Why am I not doing it right now?" there usually is not a good answer, and so I do it.

My problem is, after I rinse cans for recycling, they stay in the dish drainer way longer than necessary. I just can't seem to realize that the can fairy is NOT going to take them away and flatten them.

Rebecca VLQ 07-08-2011 01:12 PM

Workin' on #2 today. And I'm sure I'd get more done if I used #6. More often than not, I will THINK about something longer than it actually takes to DO. :D

Nanamoms 07-08-2011 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Rebecca VLQ
. More often than not, I will THINK about something longer than it actually takes to DO. :D

This is me, too!

michelehuston 07-08-2011 01:35 PM

Um..well, often I am hanging out here..is that procrastinating?

sewgray 07-08-2011 02:23 PM

I would have been the worlds greatest procrastinator, but I never got around to it.

MadQuilter 07-08-2011 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by sewgray
I would have been the worlds greatest procrastinator, but I never got around to it.

:thumbup:

Novice.for.now 07-08-2011 03:24 PM

Personally I am doing research on how to stop procrastinating. Someday I'll learn how, and until then I'll keep on researching. Thank you for the informative article. I think I'll keep on doing my research here.

debcavan 07-08-2011 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by michelehuston
Um..well, often I am hanging out here..is that procrastinating?

No this is an addiction.

Sometimes people fear they will fail. I just do it. I can always rip. It is just fabric

ontheriver 07-08-2011 09:24 PM

I think #5 should say a box of chocolate.