Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   wearing saftey pins (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/wearing-saftey-pins-t174246.html)

raedar63 01-03-2012 02:20 AM

wearing saftey pins

I was working on taking apart my grandmas old aprons to make something with them today and every single apron had saftey pins on them. I never used to think anything about it when I was little and would see farmwives I knew wearing a saftey pin on their clothing . I just wondered if anyone knew why this used to be common for the women to wear a saftey pin? A few of the saftey pins on grandmas aprons were black not rusted black but made black. I have never seen black safteypins and thought they were neat.

alleyoop1 01-03-2012 03:47 AM

Maybe your grandmother didn't like the tie around her neck so she pinned the front of the apron onto the bodice of her dress. I don't like the tie on my Thanksgiving apron so usually I just let the front flop down inside the bottom. Must remember safety pins next T-day!

raedar63 01-03-2012 03:51 AM

they weren't the kind that tied for the most part they were snap,zip or button up sleevless smocks I guess some would call them . I also remembering her and some other "older"women having a saftey pin on their blouse or housedress.

mummadee 01-03-2012 04:30 AM

I do that, it's easier to keep track of them while cleaning and come across one. Then I transfer them to my key ring so that I know where to find them and have them when necessary when "out and about."

Julia 01-03-2012 05:06 AM

Its for static electricity

lenette 01-03-2012 05:25 AM

Static Electricity!!! Wow! I need to start wearing a safety pin! We learn such good stuff on this board!

raptureready 01-03-2012 05:27 AM

Mom always had safety pins on her apron or on her everyday clothes. The reason??? Well, she took them off clothes going into the laundry, had them at the ready when needed, and other than that I really don't know I just know they were there. Grandma had them too. I think it was a "just in case" sort of thing. I also remember mom putting them on clothes coming off the line that needed mending. Those went into a separate pile by her chair so that she could mend them at the end of the day.

ShowMama 01-03-2012 08:52 AM

My mother usually had a safety pin or two on her everyday shirts too, and now I find that I'm doing the same thing! Usually it's because I come across one somewhere, like in a kitchen drawer, and pin it to my shirt so I can take it to the proper place when I've finished whatever task I'm working on. But then I forget and the pin just stays on my shirt. I like to try and keep safety pins in box in my dresser, so I'll be able to find one when I need it, but sometimes I have to go in the closet and find that shirt...

yngldy 01-03-2012 11:03 AM

Maybe it was to hang reading glasses on when not in use. Instead of having them attached to the thing around your neck.

auniqueview 01-03-2012 10:12 PM

Static? If anyone tries that, let me know, lol. WHen I lived up north, all winter long it was one shock after another. I used to joke that I needed a chain around my ankle to drag on the ground like the trucks did.