Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Weeding out bookmarked sites (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/weeding-out-bookmarked-sites-t197571.html)

MattieMae 08-14-2012 09:08 AM

Weeding out bookmarked sites

It was getting hard to find things in my lists of saved sites. If there is such a thing as a website collector/hoarder, I guess I qualify. My sewing, quilting, blogs, and garden categories had over a hundred names in each.

I decided to do some weeding out, and was dismayed to discover that some of the sites were no longer there. The information, tutorials, and photos that I thought I could rely upon for future use were gone. I am so bummed out!

Sandra in Minnesota 08-14-2012 11:51 AM

That happened to me too. DARN!

Jingle 08-14-2012 01:26 PM

I lost a lot of things on my home laptop. It got a trojan and It had to be returned to factory specs. Of course, I can't remember them.

AFQSinc 08-14-2012 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by MattieMae (Post 5440339)
It was getting hard to find things in my lists of saved sites. If there is such a thing as a website collector/hoarder, I guess I qualify. My sewing, quilting, blogs, and garden categories had over a hundred names in each.

I decided to do some weeding out, and was dismayed to discover that some of the sites were no longer there. The information, tutorials, and photos that I thought I could rely upon for future use were gone. I am so bummed out!

This is why I love Pinterest. It doesn't guarantee that links won't be broken at some point but the page image will remain the same and you can make notes so that you at least have some idea of what you were saving.

MamaHen 08-15-2012 03:47 AM

Time for me to also clean out bookmarks, I don't really use them anyway. If I want to save something good I make if a PDF or save a copy of it in word for future use.

willferg 08-15-2012 07:45 AM

It's good to clean out bookmarks, and I, too, have been dismayed to find some links dead. But then I figure there are so many more cool links yet to find, it will all even out in the end!

leighway 08-15-2012 09:10 AM

I found a cool way to deal with bookmarks...I set up a Word document and I place all bookmarks in the doc. When it reaches 8 pages, I start another doc and save the first. After 3 successive saves, I go back to doc 1 and run through all the links, saving the good ones, deleting the so/so. Takes very little space and time to do this.
Meanwhile, my Microsoft Office came with an application called One Note... I LOVE THIS PROGRAM. You can make tabs and copy projects on each page of the tab. This is for a project that I really dont want to lose. Take a look at it over at the Microsoft site. It's really cool.

Corky 08-15-2012 12:05 PM

I have a mac and there is a free program like One Note for macs. Its called Growly Notes.

How else do you use your One Notes? I am interested.

Originally Posted by leighway (Post 5442362)
I found a cool way to deal with bookmarks...I set up a Word document and I place all bookmarks in the doc. When it reaches 8 pages, I start another doc and save the first. After 3 successive saves, I go back to doc 1 and run through all the links, saving the good ones, deleting the so/so. Takes very little space and time to do this.
Meanwhile, my Microsoft Office came with an application called One Note... I LOVE THIS PROGRAM. You can make tabs and copy projects on each page of the tab. This is for a project that I really dont want to lose. Take a look at it over at the Microsoft site. It's really cool.

Patti25314 08-15-2012 03:59 PM

There is a free web site organizer on www.portaportal.com The free one does have ads at the bottom, but I just ignore them. The hardest part is deciding on your categories. I have created more for quilting because the lists became so long. It is easy to use, and they have never given out any info.

MaryAnnMc 08-16-2012 04:30 AM

Pinterest!!!!!!!