Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Weird Childhood Misconceptions (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/weird-childhood-misconceptions-t190204.html)

Peckish 05-28-2012 01:16 PM

Before my mother learned how to drive, she thought that the exhaust coming out of the tailpipe pushed the car forward.

I can't think of any I had as a child, although I'm sure if I asked my mom, she'd be able to think of a few that I'd come up with.

ptquilts 05-28-2012 01:39 PM

My friend Janice would tell me that dragonflies (she called them sewing needles) would land on your mouth and sew your lips together. I didn't believe her though....

Greenheron 05-28-2012 01:51 PM

I couldn't understand why people were buried when heaven was "up there."

I couldn't understand why coal miners weren't allowed to buy cigarettes. (It said "No Minors" on the vending machine!)

How come there was a special tax on 'daddy's railroad'----the B&O tax.

Jan in VA 05-28-2012 02:01 PM

(Oh, I'm nasty.....!) I used to think that the beer Daddy and my grandfather drank at our picnics was pee! I mean, I had brothers, I knew that stuff sometimes got foamy when it was fresh!!:shock::shock:

Took my living in Germany in the 1970s to get me to try a beer on my own, and I still can't stand to see the foam.

Jan in VA

NanaCsews2 05-28-2012 02:18 PM

We used to take sawdust and make marks on the ground to represent walls and rooms in a house. We used to think if we left the sawdust there, trees would grow in its place.
Every time it stormed we always thought they were bowling up there in heaven.
We used to think our Barbie hair would grow back after we cut it.
Watermelons and apples would grow in your stomach if you swallowed the seeds.
If you swallowed gum it would stay in your stomach. I imagined each piece of gum I swallowed would stick to the other ones I swallowed. When I was told it would eventually come out, I had a fear of that huge wad of gum in the toilet. Sticking to it was the nickle from the tooth fairy that I swallowed when I was 5.
In the olden days everything was black, brown or white.

donnalynett 05-28-2012 02:26 PM

My Mom always told me you had to be very very careful when picking up a new baby as their heads rolled around......I interpreted this to mean their heads came off and rolled around on the floor. I was in my 50's before I would ever pickup a new baby!

SunlitenSmiles 05-29-2012 03:22 AM

We were on vacation and asked our parents what are we going to see,today, and they said the Grand Canyon, my sister asked what is that and my Dad said "a hole in the ground" my sister was very quiet for a few seconds, then she uttered the defining statement that will follow her to the grave "I want to look down the hole First".

DogHouseMom 05-29-2012 03:48 AM

If I swallowed a watermelon seed one would grow in my stomach.

My uncle had us believing that if we poured salt on a birds tail it couldn't fly and we could then catch it (a ploy to keep us all busy!).

The best is my husbands memory ... they were not wealthy. Mom told him he could have either buttered bread, or bread with margarine and jam - but never butter AND jam. Husband thought it was because the two together was poisonous!!

carrieg 05-29-2012 03:50 AM

I was in my late 40s when I realized the VW bus we had when I was 6 or 7 was a Micro-bus. I grew up thinking it was a Michael-bus. LOL I'm sure my parents thought it was cute and didn't bother to correct me.

Scakes 05-29-2012 04:17 AM

My memory is not working this morning and I can't think of a thing. :-( But I am really enjoying reading all these posts. Thanks ya'll. Have a great day.