Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   What book are you reading now? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/what-book-you-reading-now-t211957.html)

BellaBoo 01-25-2013 09:45 AM

What book are you reading now?

I like to know what others like to read. I love to read. I just finished The Hangman's Daughter by OliverPötzsch and will start the 2nd book of the series The Dark Monk. It's a mystery series set in the 1600's. Very interesting withall the details of life back then. I finished all the books of Game of Thrones and waiting for the next book in the series. Love those!

nena 01-25-2013 10:07 AM

O, I know I am a little crazy. I love to read but usually Elm creek quilters books etc. Why now I decide to read" Mary queen of Scotland and the Isles" I do not know. lol It is going to take me months to finish it!

dotcomdtcm 01-25-2013 10:13 AM

I just started Mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker, by Jennifer C, of Elm Creek fame. It is a stand alone historical novel, and it is excellent. More history than sewing but a good story about courageous women. I also recommend The Kashmir Shawl. I got it on my Nook for $1.99. Lovely story of the history of a special textile, back to the goats!!

MaryMo 01-25-2013 10:22 AM

I've got Mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker on my list to read but right now I'm working on John Grisham's latest book The Racketeer ... fascinating book. I'm on the waiting list for Richard Paul Evans latest book too - A Step of Faith.

AUQuilter 01-25-2013 10:40 AM

Janette Oke's: The Calling of Emily Evans and When Calls the Heart; Local Pittsburgh Author Harriet Parke (co-authored by Glenn Beck) Agenda 21; and Daniel Silva's Fallen Angel. I am a huge Gabriel Allon fan. My spectrum of reading is Amish/Christian fiction to the extreme assassin fiction with American history in between- my hairdresser says I have as many reading interests as I do hairstyles. When I was in high school, I hated American history because the teacher didn't relate it to anything. Just incidents and dates... Then in college, I took 2 courses that related inventions and throughout time with the happenings of the days. Made history so much more relevant. Next up is a mystery book that Bonnie Hunter posted on her quilting blog the other day to download on your kindle for FREE (and it still is right now). Lynne Murray's - At Last

jcrow 01-25-2013 10:42 AM

I'm reading the fourth novel in the Elm Creek Quilt series. I love them. I bought Mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker, but have to at least finish this book before starting it. I also love James Patterson and books about Taoism. Taoism has changed my life completely.

Diannia 01-25-2013 10:58 AM

I'm also reading Mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker but on my Kindle. I usually pick books off the Kindle 100 books for free list but decided I needed to buy this one and it's good! Thanks for the recommendation of The Hangman's Daughter. I just went on Amazon and got it for my Kindle for $3.99.

Diannia

Jan in VA 01-25-2013 11:41 AM

When I'm 'down' (usually in the winter months), I read historical romance novels; I know, a ridiculously mind-numbing worthless pasttime, but that's the point. I guess I like that the women are usually strong and overcome the limitations of their society at the time.

Other than that, I read a lot related to my passions: quilting, cooking, and cottage life.

Jan in VA

booklady 01-25-2013 12:08 PM

I am a High School Librarian so when I do get the chance to read I usually pick something off the shelves at school. Although the kids seem to think I have read them all, that is just not the case! It helps me to promote the books if I've read them and can "booktalk" them to the students. It also helps when I ask them about their book when it's returned. They perk up when I say something about the ending or something that happens in their book choice.

When I tear myself away from the sewing/crochet/knit/crafts room I usually just head for something entertaining. I'm a big Nora Roberts fan. Also historical fiction, especially when it's places I know. We have a BIG used book sale here three times a year at our Main Library so I keep well supplied.

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 01-25-2013 12:35 PM

I just finished The 18 Year Defense of Caril Fugate by Jeff MacArthur and have now started Tell No Lies by Julie Compton.

I'm looking forward to Mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker but have not convinced myself to pay for it. Your accolades may be what I need to get off the fence.

For you e-reader folks, be sure to check out www.bookbub.com You can tell them what genre you like and they will e-mail you about free book. You can also do it by with a "Like" on Facebook. I get many free books through them.

Also remember www.calibre-ebook.com It is a free software download that allows you to convert e-book formats. This means if you have a Kindle you can use free Nook books and vice versa. It gives you a chance to get many more books for free.