Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   What do you call ............ (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/what-do-you-call-t67026.html)

Rhonda 09-27-2010 05:29 AM

When I was in jr. high we made up a survey and sent it out to differant schools around the US. This survey had questions pertaining to what words you used for say a sofa. Do you call it a sofa or a couch?
Or do you say pop or soda? or something else entirely?

My MIL was raised in the hills of Missouri in the 30's. She calls a recipe a receipt. This is a generational thing rather than a regional thing. But it is interesting to me to hear what words people use for things or phrases that are regional.

My DH uses his mom's phrase "It's raining like the gits" But noone knows what a gits is. Just something she picked up as a child.
She also says "Poking on the pounds" which puts a picture in my head of someone using their fingers to literally poke the fat into the their side!! Like applying the fat straight to my thighs instead of eating it! LOL

I would love to hear any phrases or words like this.

What do you call your couch? And is there a differance to you as to what constitutes a couch or a sofa?
I call a road that has small rock on it a gravel road. My DH calls it a rock road.

Do you have the idea? I would love to hear other's experiences with words!

isnthatodd 09-27-2010 05:43 AM

We have a sofa or a couch depending on the word that comes to mind first. I lived in a little town in southern Colo. that called sodas "pop", and somewhere along the way I heard "sody water" and liked the sound of it. We always had lunch at noon, but in the evening we had dinner or supper, again depending on which word popped into my mind.

sueisallaboutquilts 09-27-2010 05:44 AM

I noticed a lot of differences in expressions depending where I lived.
In New York it's soda, in Ohio it's pop
In Ohio they say ink pen- can't wrap my brain around that b/c I don't know any other kind of pen, except an animal pen!
When I lived in Georgia, little kids would say "Tote me Mama", whereas my kids would say "Mommy, pick me up"
I love regional sayings!!

I also have no idea what "gits" are hahaha
If anyone can tell me about ink pen let me know! :D

Deb watkins 09-27-2010 05:46 AM

Uh, in my area of NY it is called pop....

Chasing Hawk 09-27-2010 05:47 AM

While living in the south years ago I heard phrases such as.....

I am going to snatch her bald headed. (cat fight......LOL)

Yonder ways (meaning a direction)

Up around the bend (same as above)

Cookin' up a mess of greens (yummy, need I say more)

Here in Oregon

They refer to one's pick up or SUV as a rig.
In Nevada a rig is a drug paraphernalia.

I call it a sofa, I drink sodas, I eat pancakes as opposed to flapjacks. My brother eats johnny cake and I eat cornbread.

amazon 09-27-2010 05:47 AM

We call it a couch, cola, and folks here are bad about adding r's to the middle and end of a word. ex. We live in Eva,but they say Everrrr and names like Crstyal are pronounced Crishtal. And the ever famous Walmarks for Walmart.LOL

sueisallaboutquilts 09-27-2010 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by Deb watkins
Uh, in my area of NY it is called pop....

I never heard the word pop until I moved to Ohio. Interesting- Horseheads isn't that far from Utica :)

Deecee 09-27-2010 05:53 AM

By golly could I start a list ..... but I will just comment on soda which we call soft drink or lemonade, we sit on the couch and live on a gravel road.

At the moment its raining like the dickens.

Quilting D 09-27-2010 05:56 AM

No particular reason but I use couch. We call a vehicle with a headlight out a "popeye" For instance, There's a popeye coming.

When in public if one of us sees a person that looks a lot like a mythical character like Santa Claus or Rumplestillskin or even a famous person we simple say "It's a natural". A few seconds later when politely out of ear shot we compare notes and agree or not about who the person looked like.

Another term we use is rapster. We use this to describe a rapper that often seems to have run-ins with the law. It is a cross between a rapper and a gangster.
One more is the "review" mirror instead of rear view mirror. This came about when our daughter was very young and that is what she thought we were saying when referring to the rear view mirror on a car.

QBeth 09-27-2010 05:57 AM

New Englanders (not as common now-a-days) called Coke/Pepsi "tonic" and that was how the grocery store aisle was labelled! We also have frappes which are made with ice cream which differs from milk shakes. Don't know if it's a NE saying vs. one just for my town but in one of my posts I mentioned that I'd grown up on a pond and someone wrote back asking if I walked on water?!? :-)