Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   What I am doing during a quilt break.. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/what-i-am-doing-during-quilt-break-t192158.html)

Sherryquilts 06-18-2012 05:56 PM

What I am doing during a quilt break..

2 Attachment(s)
I have been so busy with non quilting things - life, work, family - that I just haven't gotten around to quilting. I had to do something creative so - I decided to design and build a rug frame that would work for me. The actual building was done by my handy husband. The result - (hopefully will be shown in photos below) I am having a great time using up old sheets, pillowcases, clothes, ugly fabric scraps, etc. My FIL passed away this winter and we have spent a lot of time at his house getting ready for an estate sale and I have found a lot of 'materials' that work well in the rug (ok, well I have plenty of those types of 'materials' of my own, I can't lie). I don't have too much left before I can remove it from the frame and we will see if it will hold together LOL.

erstan947 06-18-2012 06:18 PM

I'm very impressed with your weaving. Great use of color and misc. fabric. Love it!

Sew N Tune 06-19-2012 05:15 AM

Good job. There's nothing better than a hand made rug. I grew up with them.

Tartan 06-19-2012 05:28 AM

That is going to be a beautiful rug! Very nice way to use up funky fabric.

Tink's Mom 06-19-2012 06:06 AM

This is a great idea...and what a lovely way to keep some old memories.

postal packin' mama 06-19-2012 03:54 PM

Are the vertical strips a special material or just strips of sheets or misc. fabrics?
It's neat to be able to see how they're woven. Very nice and totally washable, too. Wow

Sherryquilts 06-19-2012 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by postal packin' mama (Post 5301593)
Are the vertical strips a special material or just strips of sheets or misc. fabrics? It's neat to be able to see how they're woven. Very nice and totally washable, too. Wow

You guessed right, they are strips of sheets. It has been really fun to use up some discarded materials in this rug. I really need to clear our some stuff that for some reason I just can't seem to part with - you know, too good to throw away. The white sheets really didn't seem appropriate for the weft - but good for the warp because they will be mostly hidden when they are woven with the weft. Thanks for checking it out!

butterflies5518 06-20-2012 06:09 AM

Wow this is really pretty - I would love to learn this - note to bucklet list "make room for one more". Thanks for sharing, hope your sale goes well and my condolences on your FIL.

gramacheri 06-20-2012 07:48 AM

Those rugs are so pretty and they look like they would be fun to make. I love to reuse, recycle, and remake!

alwayslearning 06-20-2012 07:53 AM

Oh, I am jealous! Wonderful job!