Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   What I heard on the radio this morning about clothing. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/what-i-heard-radio-morning-about-clothing-t146236.html)

BellaBoo 08-19-2011 06:27 AM

The report said that clothing has gotten so expensive to make that most all manufactures are using less fabric and calling it the style and using longer stitches in the seams. The new high priced jeans have long thick thread stitches and it's the 'new' must have look. You are paying more for a lot less. Only a few denim jeans brands are 100% quality cotton denim and not sold in most clothing stores. Most people who rely on quality cotton clothes for work or play are buying Carhartt, and the quality hunting/outdoor wear and forgoing dept store clothes.

crafty pat 08-19-2011 06:49 AM

I heard the same on my radio. I have not seen any of the new styles as they are called yet they sure do not sound good.

Sneed 08-19-2011 06:51 AM

This new look will probably fall apart after a couple of washings.

tucsonquilter 08-19-2011 07:01 AM

Yes after the new look falls apart after 2 washings, then we start up a new business called "New Look Mending" LOL

Lori S 08-19-2011 07:12 AM

Another trend is polyester T -shirt type . I recently purchased a shirt that if you saw it from 5 ft away you would think is was a painted or screen printed cotton knit shirt. Well it is 100 percent poly. I liked it for the print and it was very light weight.... but it pilled like crazy. This is one of those time I ask myself .... why did I not remember from the first time Poly knits hit the market years ago?!!

amma 08-19-2011 07:18 AM

I will have to check this out when we take my grands clothes shopping this weekend :D:D:D

BellaBoo 08-19-2011 07:23 AM

My teen niece (who lives with me) and my DGD loves the Miss Me jeans and these jeans are horribly made, have the long thick thread stitching, a lot of big plastic crystals and metallic thread are used on the jeans as embellishments. The denim isn't really denim, but the thin 'stretch' fabric that looks like denim. No use explaining the quality for what you pay for to teen girls about clothes, that's a lost cause. Wet Seal and Rue 21 (teen stores) all have the jeans now with the big thick stitching. I didn't think anything about it until I heard the report.

flowerjoy 08-19-2011 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
The report said that clothing has gotten so expensive to make that most all manufactures are using less fabric and calling it the style and using longer stitches in the seams. The new high priced jeans have long thick thread stitches and it's the 'new' must have look. You are paying more for a lot less. Only a few denim jeans brands are 100% quality cotton denim and not sold in most clothing stores. Most people who rely on quality cotton clothes for work or play are buying Carhartt, and the quality hunting/outdoor wear and forgoing dept store clothes.

I'm not surprised... corporations are squeezing everything out of us that they can... I am going to look into "scrubs"... I dont particularly care about being stylish and it may look like I just got off work... LOL... and best of all they look sooooo comfortable and have adjustable tie waists.

tealady 08-19-2011 07:32 AM

I am so glad I know how to sew! Otherwise I would not have anything to wear.

Quiltbeagle 08-19-2011 07:33 AM

I was shopping for new school clothes for my 6th and 8th grader and was shocked at the horrible pants! Thankfully my kids wouldn't look at them because they were so ugly, not to mention expensive (most were in the $45-$70 range on sale!). We wound up in Sears and my son got a pair of carpenter pants in the work clothes area. They were $40 but at least they won't fall apart. My hard-to-fit daughter wound up with spandex leggings that were $20 a pair.