Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   What to send to Army soldier Afghanistan? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/what-send-army-soldier-afghanistan-t169913.html)

Annaquilts 11-26-2011 11:32 AM

What to send to Army soldier Afghanistan?

Little brother is deployed again, previously 3x Iraq. What to send in those priority boxes? Any creative ideas? I know some of his preferences, like he doesn't like to read and he likes pictures from my kids, letters, and ramen with the kimchi flavor. I have heard of people sending beanies since it is cold there. What are you sending to your loved ones that have been a hit or maybe not so well recieved?

Vicki W 11-26-2011 11:45 AM

flip flops for showering in, any special cookie or candy from home, (my nephew wanted oreo's and my DSIL wanted white chocolate chips that I baked and pressure sealed to keep them fresh). A tiny Christmas tree, we did Easter basket one year (again with enough to share), a surprise party in a box ( with party favors for him and his friends) pink duck tape ....he and his friends swapped out this for the normal for their commanding officer and they all had a good laugh. Ravolli...just stuff they like and can't get there.

Annaquilts 11-26-2011 11:48 AM

Thanks Vicki, After I was posting I was thinking maybe a stocking but the little tree might be more fun.

gramajo 11-26-2011 01:28 PM

A friend posted a notice at her "Curves" classes about my nephew in Iraq. Several of the women knit or crocheted hats for the troops. They were a BIG hit.

Anna.425 11-26-2011 01:52 PM

If he doesn't read you might think about books on tape. Also, with the holiday season here try to think of ways to include him in the family traditions. This is a tough time of year to be away from family. Comfort items are always a great gift, I'm talking about basics that would be difficult to come by. Definately hats and scarves. Let's not forget, make him a quilt.

sharon b 11-26-2011 02:02 PM

One year my niece made stockings for all the guys in her Hubbys platoon- then filled them with candy, cookies , small things - One of my nephews liked to get Slim Jims, home made cookies, hard candy, reeses pieces, another one wanted microwave popcorn ( make sure they have a microwave) , sunflower seeds,. They all liked the moist baby wipes, chap stick. One I made a fleece tied blanket - he loved it as it gets chilly there in the winter.

Annaquilts 11-26-2011 03:00 PM

Thanks for all the great ideas. I love it. It is nice to come up with something different. Even when he was in Iraq I send one of those army fleece panels from Walmart. When he thanked us for the box he sepperately mentioned it. Not sure if he hang it up or used it as it was super warm there.

caspharm 11-26-2011 03:00 PM

I also heard about sending hotel size or travel size personal items, if he doesn't use them, them maybe his friends.

Scraps 11-26-2011 03:07 PM

Fairly thin skull caps to wear under the helmets. Fill all the holes in the packing with hard candy and gum.

Airwick156 11-26-2011 03:09 PM

My husband says WARM socks, stocking caps, warm gloves, hygeine stuff, jerky, newspapers from home, magazines, homemade cookies, his favorite candies, pictures of family. He also says that flea collars are good to help with the sand fleas. They will put them around their ankles. My husband is a Veteran from the Viet Nam Era and he says this is some of the stuff that he would have wanted if someone in his family would have sent him care packages. But sadly they didn't and I didn't know him back in those days or I would have sent him tons of packages.