Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   What are you having for Christmas dinner? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/what-you-having-christmas-dinner-t258517.html)

madamekelly 12-20-2014 09:09 PM

What are you having for Christmas dinner?

I will start this by saying our family has always done pretty much the same meal for Thanksgiving and Christmas. This year I needed more room in the freezer, so I made a turkey in early October, made one for thanksgiving, and now being faced with yet another one, I was not looking forward to it. (You actually can get tired of even your favorite meal...) fast forward to earlier this month, and a good friend gifted us with a 10 lb pork shoulder. Guess what we are having for Christmas dinner? Right!
We are having pork shoulder cooked with pineapple and dried cranberries, roasted carrots cooked under the roast, Christmas rice (white rice with red and green peppers and a little saffron for color), bean and pasta salad, pickled beets, sweet and dill pickles, corn bread, and scalloped potatoes. For desert we are having a choice of mandarin orange "Foam", Death by Chocolate cake, or bread pudding with apples and cinnamom.
We are cooking it as a group. So, what's for dinner at your house on Christmas Day?

huntannette 12-20-2014 09:19 PM

Since my daughter is not going to her in-laws this year on Christmas Eve we will be having two parties...on Christmas Eve we will be having a Raclette party....moose meat, chicken cooked on the Raclette with garlic butter ...different sauces, roasted potatoes and veggies ...probably a cheese fondue as well....I have made carrot cake and banana and poppy seeds cake.....then on Christmas day we will have the turkey supper with French Canadian meat pies and ragout....mashed potatoes and all the fixins....I will prepare cream pies or a bagatelle for desert....

quiltingcandy 12-20-2014 11:03 PM

We are having a prime rib roast for dinner. There is a turkey in the freezer but think I'll save that for February. I will go ahead and fix some scalloped potatoes and a green bean casserole. My daughter got a Mickey Mouse sour dough loaf at California Adventure a couple weeks ago, so we are having that instead of dinner rolls. My sister sent me some of her home canned cranberry sauce so will have that as well. We are not sure what else - I know for sure I will bake a pumpkin pie since I have all the stuff to make it.

I really like breakfast on Christmas because my husband cooks and I get to sit back until it it time to fix dinner.

IrishgalfromNJ 12-21-2014 03:42 AM

DD and I are getting together for rock cornish game hens, stuffing, green beans, roasted potatoes, carrots, cranberry conserve and lemon bars. We're sharing cooking duties and having dinner at my house. I can't wait.

sandy l 12-21-2014 04:43 AM

We're having ham, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, cranberry relish and rolls. Then pie for desert, maybe I'll make a chocolate-cherry cake too.

Nanny's dollface 12-21-2014 04:49 AM

Scallops with an orange- soy Demi glacé, spinach- feta cheese mini soufflé bites in puff pastry, spinach salad with pomegranate, Comice pear, pea cons and balsamic dressing, stuffed crown roast, mashed potatoes, Yorkshire pudding, green bean casserole, and butternut squash. You would probably think that I am feeding and army but it's only me and my DH as family is all back East. I love Christmas Dinner. Especially when the house is all decorated.

Joset 12-21-2014 05:14 AM

we are having bbq ribs and bbq and lasagna . and i will make 2 salads also. that way i can make
it all the day before and enjoy the day. and every body loves it that i have different things to
pick from.

Billi 12-21-2014 05:15 AM

Early snacks:
chips and onion dip, jalapeño popper spread, cheeses ball Italian meats and crackers.

Dinner
Grilled marinaded flank steak, grilled onions, peppers and mushrooms baked potatoes, sweet potatoes (just to annoy my bil) peas, and Caesar salad.

Dessert
is the fudge, haystacks, and Christmas cookies that will be out all day too.

I'm doing most of the meal mil is making the salad, her Caesar dressing is amazing, the dips and cheeses ball. The sweets are made by me, my 2 girls, mil, and 2 of my nieces.

dd 12-21-2014 05:36 AM

Glad you posted this Madamekelly. We are still so undecided about what to fix. Until yesterday we weren't sure what we were doing for Christmas. My dad just got out of a week stay at the hospital for his heart. Now we can plan but it's all such late notice. I think we are having turkey, gravy, mac & cheese and vegie pizza, so far. That sounds very disconnected, doesn't it? Oh well, as long as there is some food on the table and we are together. At least dad will be there.

fatquarters 12-21-2014 06:09 AM

everyone has such an interesting menu. We have a small gathering this year, I am cooking turkey, stuffing, gravy,potatoes, carrots, and turnip. I have asked my guests to bring the salads, and dessert. pretty normal for us, except usually the host in our family does it all, this year we decided to divide it up. will make it so much easier. I just wish we had more family here, but thank goodness we have some, I need to be thankful, even though I will miss the ones that aren't here, guess that's pretty normal.

Merry Christmas my friends!