Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   What is your favorite old "saying"? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/what-your-favorite-old-%22saying%22-t115876.html)

mzsooz 04-13-2011 01:52 PM

So excited you started this!!! I collect these old sayings. I have about 10 pages of them so far! Love it!

QuiltnNan 04-13-2011 01:55 PM

You have to live in the cold climes to appreciate my mom's frequent saying: It's slower 'n molasses in January. Her other is "It's a snare and a delusion"

Annaquilts 04-13-2011 01:58 PM

What goes around comes around.
Slow obedience is no obedience.
Stupid is as stupid does. from Forest Gump movie

I find myself also saying, "It is what it is." Kind of on the same note, when we started our little quilting bee all of us were beginner quilters. Often when we worked on something the project would not be perfect. We would tell each other, "So be it." when it was time to find a name for our group we became the Sew Bee Its.

okiepastor 04-13-2011 02:02 PM

That dog won't hunt

From the teeth out

Like a hog on ice

Lizzytish 04-13-2011 02:14 PM

If you don't stop crying I'll give you something to cry about
Can you tell I grew up in the 60's my mom's saying.

That's why I told you not to do it.

Knee high to a grasshopper

It's raining like a cow peeing through a screen door.

tutt 04-13-2011 02:18 PM

"If wishes were horses we'd all take a ride".....heard that that one ALL the time :) My grandmother always said when eating something good "so good it makes your tongue want to slap your brains out"!

StitchinJoy 04-13-2011 02:22 PM

My mother died when I was 1, and my dad and I went to live with his mother and his grandmother. So I have lots of old sayings that pop out of my mouth!

These are some of my favorites.

"He could charm the birds off the trees."

"Let your words be tender and sweet today, because you may have to eat them tomorrow."

"Use it up,wear it out, make it do, or do without."

"If wishes were horses, then beggars would ride."

"Pretty is as pretty does."

noahscats7 04-13-2011 02:26 PM

Mine about house cleaning...."It'll be there when I'm dead and gone."
Also gym teacher in high school call us "rude, crude and unattractive."

yonnikka 04-13-2011 02:28 PM

One of my favorite old sayings is, "All in Good Time". I think it comes from the Bible; but it's my way of saying "Cool Your Jets!" to those folks who rush me too too much. Like baking bread, some things just have their own timing and ya cannot rush them!

Tussymussy 04-13-2011 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by tutt
"If wishes were horses we'd all take a ride".....heard that that one ALL the time :) My grandmother always said when eating something good "so good it makes your tongue want to slap your brains out"!

My Dad always said If wishes were horses, then beggers would ride. Another was "it's better than a smack in the face with a wet fish" if something was not going his way.