Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   What is your favorite old "saying"? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/what-your-favorite-old-%22saying%22-t115876.html)

pollyjvan9 04-13-2011 01:17 PM

I have been reading the nickname thread. Some are so funny. It made me think of things my family used to say. One of my grandmothers favorite sayings was somebody was grinning like a wave on a slop bucket. Do you know what a slop bucket is? I do! When I was young I thought my Mom's old saying "Beauty is skin deep, but ugly holds it own" was so funny. Then I went to a reunion and guess what? She was right.

bj 04-13-2011 01:22 PM

Two of my favorites...My dad always said, "New day, new deal" because his job often made plans change at the last minute. My dh's grandma, if she didn't like something (like mayonnaise :-D ) would say she wouldn't dirty her mouth on it. I also like Judge Judy's "Beauty fades, but stupid lasts forever." :-D :-D

QuiltE 04-13-2011 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Pollyv9
I have been reading the nickname thread. Some are so funny. It made me think of things my family used to say. One of my grandmothers favorite sayings was somebody was grinning like a wave on a slop bucket. Do you know what a slop bucket is? I do! When I was young I thought my Mom's old saying "Beauty is skin deep, but ugly holds it own" was so funny. Then I went to a reunion and guess what? She was right.

OMG you brought back memories ... never have heard either of those expressions!
It was the slop bucke that got me ... and in our home it was the "Pigs Pail"! :)

Some Mom'isms that still haunt me, though she has been gone for 20 years now
* Don't bite off more than you can chew!
* Don't try to burn the candle at both ends!!
* Eat with your mouth closed.
* Sing at the table, cry before you go to bed.

sharoney 04-13-2011 01:32 PM

My dad used to tell me this all the time- it's not really a "saying" per se, but it stuck with me:
"If it's yours, take care of it, if it's not yours, leave it alone."

frauhahn 04-13-2011 01:41 PM

Actually, mine is one my husband brought from Germany-translated it says: If someone is born an a**hole, he can't die as a canary. . .(hope I haven't offended anyone)
Another (the German language is full of these)is: the soup is never eaten as hot as it was cooked.

S D G 04-13-2011 01:45 PM

The 1 I remember is What goes around comes around.

max's grandma 04-13-2011 01:49 PM

My mother always said you can't die when you want to.

Joanie2 04-13-2011 01:51 PM

My favorite has always been "Patience is a Virtue".
Last year I found myself often saying "It is what it is."

gunny148 04-13-2011 01:51 PM

One comes to mind "want some cheese with that whine" I you cant run with the big dogs, stay under the porch.

debcavan 04-13-2011 01:52 PM

From quilting I like KISS keep it simple stupid.

My mother drives me crazy with. "oh I forgot what I was going to say, must have been a lie"