Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   what is your town like (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/what-your-town-like-t96880.html)

ljorange 02-08-2011 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by RugosaB
This is a very small town, in the middle of farmland, by a big city, near the lake. Oh, divided by a county line so in 2 counties, and 2 school systems.
Out claim to fame: a few years ago the family next to this teeny tiny carryout, won $100,000 in the lottery. Big news for here. Damn if he didn't do it again this year, but this time was part of a group and he got $28 million!
We have one bank, a little tiny post office, a restaurant

My Dad grew up on a farm here. My kids went to the same school I did, and my Dad started here in the one room school house.

I really envy you having lived in the same place all your life. We moved around some and I found it difficult having to make new friends all the time. I made sure my children lived in the same place all their years through school.
I had a guy tell me once at a store "If you're not a (maiden name) you should be" I guess we all look alike. I only have 85 first cousins on my dad's side!

My husband and I bought a house a year before we got married, we'll live here forever

Can you tell I like this place?

RugosaB 02-09-2011 08:11 AM

"I really envy you having lived in the same place all your life. We moved around some and I found it difficult having to make new friends all the time. I made sure my children lived in the same place all their years through school.
"

It has been nice, and I admit to being lucky it was possible. My kids? Oldest son has his roots here, youngest is in the Navy, and seems to have more 'wander' in him, and my daughter? Who knows!

mayday 02-09-2011 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom

Originally Posted by mayday
Petrol stn---expensive, fresh fish shop, paper shop, library, book shop,electrical shop, sweet shop,3 small convenience shops,3 pet food shops, vegetable /fruit shop,3 hairdressers plus 2 barbers, flower shop, 2 fresh homemade bread shops,shoe shop,2 good jewellers, ironmongers,laundrette,bookies,2 pizza shops, fish and chips,dress shop,8 pubs/ inns 4 doing food,teenage "CLUB 24" ,embroidery shop,2 charity shops,2 banks,2 dentists, Drs surgery,optician,small food hall.carpet shop, cheap bed type shop, 1 church 1 chapel, 3-4 nursing homes can't remember more----------this is what I call a one eyed town with only one main street, but suppose people don't have to go far unless they wish.

No Curry? Other than a good Curry, sounds like a typical High Street.

SO SORRY , there are 2 ,forgot that as don't eat it only my homemade!!!!!

musicaljan 02-09-2011 10:56 AM

I live in a small town. Like another poster, my town used to be a huge, booming town with 4 railroads coming through about 100 years ago. We have a few stores but not much. And the sidewalks roll up by 7. We have to travel for most everything. My daughter says she loves that she grew up in a small town - but has no intention of staying here. Ha I see her in new york. I love living in a rural area. :D