Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   what's a good remedy for sore throat/cold (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/whats-good-remedy-sore-throat-cold-t94808.html)

arimuse 01-29-2011 07:31 AM

My grandmother used equal parts of: honey/lemon juice/whiskey/butter. melt/mix all in a little pan and take by teaspoonful as needed.
It works cus 2 winters ago I was home alone (hubs was out of state working) and I came down w/ that miserable bird flu (if you ever get it you will not mistake it for anything! I thought I would break my ribs coughing, and then you cough for about 6 weeks after its done.) anyway, I didnt go to the dr, and bought every otc cough/flu thing they sell, and the only thing that would stop the cough was my grandmas recipe. Id sit w/ the pot and every 15 min had a spoon, let it drizzle into my throat, it would keep the coughing down for about 15 min at a time, where all the pills did nothing. share t

catmcclure 01-29-2011 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by sash
I need a good remedy for a sore throat and cold. Got any ideas. It's not for me; I can usually cope, but you know, it's the dh (hate for him to get sick and run down). Thanks.

I don't drink alcohol, but always keep a small bottle of tequila on hand. If you gargle with about an ounce of straight tequila it will kill all the germs in your throat (big time). I usually only had to gargle a couple of times (a.m. and p.m.) and my sore throat would go away. It also tastes better than Listerine and has a higher alcohol content (maybe that's why it works so well).

Leota 01-29-2011 10:52 AM

Homemade Chicken Soup
Put in large pot with lots of water (covers chicken and veggies)
chicken breast
salt to taste
celery (finely chopped)
garlic ( just a touch)
Onion (finely chopped )
Fresh carrots (thinely sliced or chopped)
Simmer till chicken is done and veggies tinder

There's something in the chicken that helps with congestion and yucky feeling...

marciacp 01-29-2011 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by sash
I need a good remedy for a sore throat and cold. Got any ideas. It's not for me; I can usually cope, but you know, it's the dh (hate for him to get sick and run down). Thanks.

Lots of Zinc. Kroger has a Zinc cold remedy. It works
every time. I see y'all are in TX. So am I. I had a
horrible sore throat and cold back in Dec. I started
right away on the Zinc and it took care of the cold
symptoms. However, I had to get an antibiotic for
my sore throat. That worked, though. The reason I
noted that we are both in TX is because there is a terrible
bug going around here that starts with a cold and sore
throat, and ends up taking about 3 weeks to get rid of.
Lots of people I know have had it.
Marcia

morelcabin 01-29-2011 12:33 PM

1/4 tsp baking soda in a glass of water 3 times a day

terri bb 01-29-2011 12:59 PM

vinegar is amazing, it works great! so does garlic :) i've never rubbed it on my feet but a clove of raw garlic eaten with a slice of un-buttered bread and washed down with some water if he can stand it does work great! have to try the feet thing sometime! love vicks too, works great for anything...try a little of all the replies you have gotten and it's sure to cure anything he may ever get in the future also! :) hope he feels better soon!

Originally Posted by damaquilts
Braggs Apple cider vinegar, honey and water.
1 T each to cup of hot water. Has worked everytime in my family for 3 generations.

bjnicholson 01-29-2011 01:00 PM

Gargle with warm salt water.

QultingaddictUK 01-29-2011 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae

Originally Posted by mbrwfy

Originally Posted by thimblebug6000
Heat some water, squeeze lemon juice into it, add spoonful of honey.....my Mom's all time sure soother...not a cure, but sure makes the throat feel better.

Add a shot of whiskey and you got a hot toddy. Makes everything feel better and helps you sleep good too. ;-)

-M

I was going to say the same thing.

For a man you have to bribe them to take medicine and Whiskey or Brandy will always do the trick in my experience :mrgreen:

greenini 01-29-2011 02:06 PM

I take Nyquil pills...but only if I can sleep. Dh like Alka-Seltzer Plus...same thing, knocks him out.

grannypat7925 01-29-2011 04:12 PM

Gargle Listerine and drink lemon and honey and ginger tea.