Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   When do you quit giving gifts to "kids" (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/when-do-you-quit-giving-gifts-kids-t209009.html)

sew_Tracy 12-23-2012 06:28 AM

I decided NOT to send Christmas presents to 2 of my grandchildren this year. They ARE kids, but I expect their mom to at least thank me or even acknowledge that they received their birthday gifts this year. I have her on my Facebook and the way I see it, if she has time to post hundreds of stupid cartoons then she has time to say hey Tracy, Leah got her quilt...something...ANYTHING. I don't want to punish the kids for the ignorance of their mother, but how would I know if they even got the gifts I sent them?

angelanicole 12-23-2012 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts (Post 5734423)
18. Although if I received no TY notes for several years, their next gift would be a box of TY notes.

This is a great idea and that is what I am going to do !!!!!!!!!

quilter68 12-23-2012 07:04 AM

Perhaps you have heard of the Chicago Grandmother that "forgot" to sign the checks! She heard from them all that year and told them why. never sent another gift. "nuff said!

damaquilts 12-23-2012 07:12 AM

I haven't had the money for years to give gifts and my children wouldn't have wanted it anyway unless it was a good chunk of cash. Well 2 of them. So I buy for who lives in the house with me . That's it. No other family , no friends etc. Certainly not nieces and nephews. Not when my family cannot even contact when I have heart surgery to see if I am even still alive. nope..Yep disfunctional is the name of my family. lol This year my daughter who I use to live with got 25 and so did her daughter . My brother got a gift certificate for a massage and his step daughter got a candle. 15 so all together a little over 100 . That's a big chunk for me. And next year maybe not even that.

solstice3 12-23-2012 07:17 AM

I gave to my nieces for Christmas until they got married. BUT, if they had been so inconsiderate not to say thank you it would have happened a lot sooner!!

twinkie 12-23-2012 07:17 AM

This happened to us all the time. Finally, with the last card and check, we just told them, "Unless we hear from you, we will know that you do not need this gift so they will stop. It doesn't take long to say thank you". These were 15 and 16 year olds. We have 18 grandchildren and now great grand children. It is difficult to be able to afford to keep sending the money. We told them that the only notification was when the bank let us know the check had cleared. And, it isn't always the parents fault.

quiltingnana1 12-23-2012 07:37 AM

an

Originally Posted by ptquilts (Post 5734423)
18. Although if I received no TY notes for several years, their next gift would be a box of TY notes.

I love this! We, too, give until age 18. If the recipient is really thankful, we might go to 21. But, I really like the idea of the the thank you notes. While growing up, our kids always found a package of thank you notes in their stockings. They weren't allowed to cash a check or wear a gift until the note was written. :-)

quiltmom04 12-23-2012 08:11 AM

I still five Christmas gifts because we are with them, but only send bday cards, not gifts any longer.

butterflies5518 12-23-2012 08:25 AM

My children were taught respect and to acknowledge a gift with 'thank you'. However, 2 of the 3 require every package sent to be 'tracked and signed for'. Every year the gifts get smaller and smaller - do you think they noticed? I'm sure they will when they become a holiday card with no gifts attached.

DeAnne-Mn. 12-23-2012 08:51 AM

Don't know all the story, don't need to. I just try to remember that those who are the least loveable are usually the one's who need loving the most. I didn't say it was easy to do, sometimes it seems impossible. Merry Christmas to All.