Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Where you live (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/where-you-live-t155466.html)

Dodee 09-24-2011 09:46 AM

Do you love where you are living now?
If you moved there, what was the attraction?

What would be your favorite place to live if you had a choice?
Dodee

QuiltnNan 09-24-2011 09:52 AM

I moved to MN from FL to retire and take care of my grandkids. I hate the weather, but the medical care here is so much better than the care in FL. I would rather that we all move to upstate/western NY nearer the rest of the family that we grew up with.

frauhahn 09-24-2011 09:54 AM

I'm content-I love my home in Chelsea. I live out in the country with fields on every side and occassional wildlife in the yard. We're close enough to Ann Arbor or Jackson if we need something that we can't get in our small town. I love my home in DeTour, on the St. Mary's River-a great place to spend my summers. An hour to Sault Sainte Marie if I need anything, but it's a great place for fishing or just relaxing. Both places are friendly and fairly laid-back. I don't have any interest in living any other way, really.

frauhahn 09-24-2011 09:54 AM

sorry-double post!

alikat110 09-24-2011 09:55 AM

the school district is the draw for us. however, people here are friendly, sweet, helpful, neighborly, etc.... hate the drought.

TanyaL 09-24-2011 10:08 AM

We live 25 miles from any shopping. The first 10 years it was perfect, but now we sometimes wish we were on the outskirts of a small town that at least had a good grocery store. We selected an area within a half day's drive of the major medical centers of Dallas and Houston. Leaving the stressful conditions of big city life has prolonged my DH life. The medical profession thought he would be dead years ago; we thought we were moving out here for him to die. We love our home, our retired, slow life; the fact that he is ALIVE and still functioning.
Unfortunately, we live almost as hermits to maintain the absolutely stress free lifestyle. That's lonely for me at times but is an easy trade-off. That's one reason I so enjoy this QB and the interaction on it.

blueangel 09-24-2011 10:19 AM

I love my little small town. Have lived here most of my life. Have to drive 18 miles to everything but I prefer it to the big city life.

quiltingcandy 09-24-2011 10:38 AM

We live 2 blocks from downtown Chula Vista, which is just down the road from San Diego. (I call it my overgrown hick town.) In So. Cal, I don't think there really is a small town, but we chose this place because we can walk everywhere if so desired. (Except Joann's, that is 10 miles or so away.) But the LQS is literally 2 blocks from my home.

My husband works for the City so that is what attracted us to the city.

I would prefer to live out in the country but my husband was raised in a city and cannot imagine being to far away from having neighbors, even though he has no idea what their names are. Also my daughters live near us, so moving away is out of the question now.

Honeynga 09-24-2011 10:42 AM

Bless your heart. I live as far away from the City of Atlanta that I have ever lived and that is about 45 miles; about 1 hr drive time if the traffic isn't too bad. However I've retired out here and love the slower pace. I'm lucky enough to be within 2 miles of a Kroger, Walmart, Publix, Hobby Lobby and that seems to take care of everything. I do go into Atl about one a month to visit daughter and I always have a list of places to go, i..e. Ikea, Trader Joe's, Hancock's, stop by a Joann's......

Got out of Atlanta last year when I had a heart attack and stroke and spent 8 days at St Joseph's hospital in the heart as what is known as "pill hill" in the Atlanta area....knew that I couldn't continue to live in the city for a lot of reasons, since I was forced to retire I couldn't afford to live there; couldn't live with the stress of the traffic just to run to the store and needed a calmer life...which I have.

Scissor Queen 09-24-2011 11:18 AM

I love my neighborhood! I would say it's about a third retired people, a third middle age people and a third younger people with kids. It's very quiet most of the time.

I wanted to live in this town because I love small town Kansas. We're here because of the type of work my husband does.