Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Who has had the flu shot this year and seem to be sicker than usual (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/who-has-had-flu-shot-year-seem-sicker-than-usual-t174358.html)

CajunQuilter2 01-03-2012 08:42 PM

Who has had the flu shot this year and seem to be sicker than usual

I got a flu shot the end of Sept. this year and since then I have been sick continuesly since getting it. I am not a hypochodriac by any means but I looked up the side effects from the flu shot and I have had every one of them at one time or another since getting the shot. This is not the first year I get the shot as it is suggested I get it every year by my internist due to my heart issues. I have never had issues from it before. Was wondering if there was any one else experiencing the same thing.

sassey 01-03-2012 09:01 PM

I take the flu shot every year and have never gotten the flu, untill 2 days ago and right now I am pretty sick. However I firmly believe I would be a lot sicker if I didnt take the shot. my grown kids do not take the shot and they have had all been down with a flu bug twice seems it barly goes away and it comes back again I am not even sure I have the flu as i do not have a feaver I have a cold on my left side but right side of face dont even have a sniffle I ache all over but some of pain is muscle pain and fibro My chest aches could be from comprimised ling disease or flu However I am glad I got the shot because I know it could be a lot worse

pjaco 01-04-2012 01:36 AM

I always get a flu shot, never had any problems though.

carolaug 01-04-2012 01:45 AM

I did not get one this year...pretty much everyone I know has...and many have been sick with the flu...so far I have not gotten it. fingers crossed.

QM 01-04-2012 02:57 AM

I always get one too. My adult son won't, and generally gets the flu. Many seasonal ills, however, are acctually allergies. I had bronchitis or pneumonia every winter for years before I found the right doc and treatment, including air filters.

jitkaau 01-04-2012 04:15 AM

Just imagine then, how sick you may have been if you didn't have the shot? You don't catch the flu from the shot as the stuff is dead before it is injected into you - it just prevents you from having the full - blown sickness. Hope your antibodies are building up nicely for the winter season.

romanojg 01-04-2012 04:26 AM

I've always gotten the flu shot and now at my work it's mandatory. I started getting sinus infections before the shot and got better just long enough to get it and am now on my 4th round of antibiotics trying to get rid of it. I've talked to a lot of people who have gotten sick around Aug or Sept and they've had a terrible time getting it out of their system. One of the reason I've had such a hard time getting rid of my infection is due to being anemic; I've had one iron infusion and got rid of that sinus infection for a few weeks and then another one hit and when they checked my blood it was all out of wack again and not just my iron. If your blood cell levels aren't where they are supposed to be your immune system can't fight off bacteria. This comes from my doctor. I don't think it's the shot just something in the air this year.

BeverlyH 01-04-2012 04:29 AM

I get the flu shot every year and did this year too. I haven't had any problems. My husband hasn't either. So sorry that you are ill.

grocifer 01-04-2012 04:46 AM

A educated guess by scientists is used to determine the viruses to include in the flu vaccine each year. Maybe you were one of the lucky ones to get a virus that was not foreseen. Hope you are feeling better as we speak -- maybe the duration will be a little shorter since you got the shot.

sbrc 01-04-2012 04:53 AM

I also get a flu shot every year, as I have COPD. I was very sick after the shot this year.