Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Who out there has ebay experience? Help! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/who-out-there-has-ebay-experience-help-t156669.html)

gotta-sew 09-28-2011 08:45 PM

I have purchased on ebay many times before. Tonight I stayed on line and watched how my bid would go. It was nearly over and I was the only bid. In the last 10 seconds suddenly It said I won, but the amount for me to pay was my maxium bid. My maxium bid was an odd amount. I was the only bidder. I certainly didn't bid against myself. How does this happen?

I emailed the seller, no responce as yet. Thought maybe some of you may understand this better than I do. Maybe it is on the up and up, but it didn't feel like it.

sharon b 09-28-2011 08:47 PM

maybe someone came in at the last minute and bid and that would push your amount up ?

lee_stitches 09-28-2011 08:50 PM

That does not sound right to me. If your bid went up, there should have been other bids to cause it to go to your maximum bid. You might contact Ebay also.

COYOTEMAGIC 09-28-2011 08:56 PM

When you put in your max bid., people can keep coming in and bidding. If their bid is less than yours, the amount will go up by set amounts==usually between .50cents to a $1. That is why your final bid comes out looking something funny. There is a spot on there that now that the bidding is over you can see what was bid and how your automatic bids went up

Charlee 09-28-2011 09:03 PM

What's the auction number?

Sounds to me like you got sniped, but still had the highest bid...

Sniping is when people bid in the last seconds of the auction to avoid bidding wars...if they have a higher bid than yours, you don't have a chance to raise your bid before the auction is over. There are programs that will do it for you...

Annaquilts 09-28-2011 09:18 PM

Yes, some one probably bit up against you using a sniper program. DH always uses those versus the regular bidding. Also did the person have a reserve that needed to be met?

gotta-sew 09-28-2011 09:29 PM

No reserve. I understand someone comming in at the end. But I was th only bid up until the last 10 seconds or less. Also don't bids usually go up a dollar or so at a time? In a split second it was maxed and it was just odd to me because the change part of my bid was 93 cents. Wouldn't you see it go up by $1.00 or $2.50 more or something? But no, It jumped like $13.93, just like that. I was still the only bidder. Weird huh?

Prism99 09-28-2011 09:38 PM

Most sniping programs bid within the last 10 seconds (some 3 seconds before auction end). If your bid was $13.93 and the sniper bid was $13.51, your bid would still win even though it wasn't a full dollar increment above theirs. You can win even by a penny, for example if their bid was $13.92.

I haven't paid a lot of attention, but I thought lately that a lot of auctions are "private" in that they do not display all the bids. Maybe this is one of those?

If you post the auction number, we can look at the actual listing.

LindaR 09-29-2011 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by gotta-sew
No reserve. I understand someone comming in at the end. But I was th only bid up until the last 10 seconds or less. Also don't bids usually go up a dollar or so at a time? In a split second it was maxed and it was just odd to me because the change part of my bid was 93 cents. Wouldn't you see it go up by $1.00 or $2.50 more or something? But no, It jumped like $13.93, just like that. I was still the only bidder. Weird huh?

I think its weird...actually when someone bids less your max doesn't it say "your bid is too low" do you want to bid again??? never run into this problem...

sewmuchmore 09-29-2011 05:13 AM

Go to ebay and look at the item.Under the item it will show how many bid on the item it wil say 1 or 2 ect. If it say 1 contact ebay with your question.
Prism99 it right If you post the auction number, we can look at the actual listing. We may be able to help you if we can see it.