Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   who remember clotheslines? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/who-remember-clotheslines-t19913.html)

k3n 05-13-2009 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by butterflywing
(didn't want to say "tree crotches - k has a dirty mind).

MOI!!!!!!! HUUUHHHHHHHH! Jamais!!!! :mrgreen:

K x

tlrnhi 05-14-2009 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by barnbum
Ummm..there are people who don't use clotheslines? :shock: :shock: :shock:

My daughter even put one up at her college house.

Except for living in an apartment, why wouldn't one have a clothesline?

Uh yea Karla....some people, like me, aren't fortunate to live in an area like you...ok, yes I'm jealous! ;)

Izy 05-14-2009 04:06 AM

When I was a kid, we moved from Scotland down to Manchester, England, and one of my earliest memories was the clothing rack that was on a pully high up against the ceiling usually above the fire, you lowered it to put your clothes on and pulled it back up and wound the rope around a cleat. It was usually 4 long strips of wood which slotted through wrought ironing rails at the ends. Did anyone in the US have this type of airer?

k3n 05-14-2009 04:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Izy
When I was a kid, we moved from Scotland down to Manchester, England, and one of my earliest memories was the clothing rack that was on a pully high up against the ceiling usually above the fire, you lowered it to put your clothes on and pulled it back up and wound the rope around a cleat. It was usually 4 long strips of wood which slotted through wrought ironing rails at the ends. Did anyone in the US have this type of airer?

Like this? My Mum used to have one! Great for drying herbs on too! Or hanging your pans up in the kitchen.

K x

pegquilter8 05-14-2009 05:03 AM

Remember? Still using it. As a child , it was a rite of passage if Mom sent you down to hang "outside" . I even had one put on back porch to use in winter to avoid trromping thru snow to get to lines.

Thanks for bringing it up. Peg

Izy 05-14-2009 05:04 AM

That's them K!!

Years ago, I was into growing and drying flowers so we made our own using brush poles and it hung in a bay window in my kitchen, I used all tights cut into strips wound around the flower stems and hung them all upside down, it was soooo pretty!! :D

Izy 05-14-2009 05:06 AM

Peg it makes so much more sense doesn't it, in the last family home, my Mum had Dad put one up high on the landing at the top of the stairs as all the warm air rises up there for during the winter. :D

elliemay 05-14-2009 05:26 AM

My daughters and I still use clotheslines, but given the weather its not that brilliant anymore, hubby does not like the ' Line' at all, years ago when Terry nappies were used I used to get compliments on mine ..pure white. after soaking in ' Napisan', who remembers that?, then washed and spin dried, fabric softener.. then pegged out, smelt gorgeous didnt they ladies... Ahhh memories....

tlrnhi 05-14-2009 05:57 AM

I've never seen/heard of a clotheline like that. Must be a European thing.

Izy 05-14-2009 06:06 AM

They were indoor airers Terri, I suppose UK weather being what it is you need somewhere to hang the washing to dry during all that rain lol!!

Ellie: I used to have my nappy bucket sat in the bath next to the loo, we had to dosh the dirty nappy down the loo while flushing.. keeping a tight grip so it didn't go round the bend, then staight into a bucket of Napisan. Oh the joys of motherhood, but like you as I already said earlier in the post I LOVED to see a line of pure white nappies on the line..ONLY ZORBIT nappies I might add, not that I could afford the gold deluxe version, mind you my first born was only 4lb 2oz when I brought him home, and getting those big nappies on him was difficult until I was shown how to fold them in the chinese style, worked a treat then... He's 25 and getting married in August!! :lol: