Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Who sews things besides quilts? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/who-sews-things-besides-quilts-t128023.html)

joyce888 06-04-2011 12:32 PM

I use to make almost all of my daughters and my clothes. I even made a pair of Calvin Kline jeans and a suit for my husband. Also made things for the home ; window treatments and etc. I had tons of patterns, notions and every possible do-dad for sewing. But now I just make quilts; (sometimes easy window treatments or home decor) but I never can do a craft half way; again I have tons of fabric, notions, and every quilting do-dad there is. My husband calls me a fabric addict - and I think he's right I've always loved fabric.

MisDixie 06-04-2011 12:40 PM

I do alterations and repairs on the side. That helps pay for the quilting addiction! I also make clothing for myself when the mood hits.

Charlee 06-04-2011 12:43 PM

I make all of William's shirts, the occasional blouse, dolls, etc. Whatever the mood strikes me to do...

oma66 06-04-2011 01:09 PM

I have two beautiful great granddaughters and I love to make them outfits. I also still sew for my 48 yr. old daughter. Love to make things for my home; pillows, curtains, etc. I make my husbands western style shirts and clothes for me as well. I learned to sew on a treadle machine long, long, long ago and have always enjoyed it.

A man's suit and jeans...very impressive!

dixiebelle162002 06-04-2011 01:18 PM

I'm done some of my children's clothes, window treatments, a few clothes for my husband and myself. I just love making things period.

TonnieLoree 06-04-2011 01:29 PM

Everyone in my immediate family owns a down filled vest or coat. All of my 8 grandchildren have quilts from Gramma. I do alterations (reluctantly) for friends and family. I used to make dog clothing for the rich people that didn't seem to care what the cost was. I've made custom square-dancing dresses for the ladies and matching ties for the gents. I have built covers for boats, bbq's and motorcycles. I dabbled at upholstery once, but that was a fail in my mind even though the owner was estatic. I relined a guitar case, but would NEVER do that again. I kept me and my daughters off welfare by sewing 5 nights a week; whatever needed to be done.

Right now, I just quilt for me.

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 06-04-2011 01:30 PM

I've done dozens of Halloween costumes, curtains, slip covers, prom dresses, flower girl dresses, dance recital costumes, regular clothes, hooded sweatshirts, tool bags for assorted "delicate" tools, etc.

loves_2_quilt 06-04-2011 01:39 PM

I used to make all our daughter and mine clothes. I have/do make window treatments and some home dec stuff. I still sometimes make baby things for gifts, but mostly quilt now.
D

CindyBee 06-04-2011 01:39 PM

Quilting is my passion, but I do like to keep my dressmaking skills sharp occasionally. I should sew more for my granddaughter as she is at an adorable age - 2. I suppose all the fitting seems like a pain now. I will say that when I want something really special I always consider making it myself out of fabric I love. I still love Home-Dec sewing and give my window treatments regular makeovers. I seem to be on a Roman Shade theme currently :D

kateyb 06-04-2011 01:42 PM

I made most of my daughters' and my clothes for years. One daughter is 6 feet tall with a 39" inseam and arms that only store bought men's long sleeved shirts fit. The other is a size 8 with a 30 FF bust, so they have trouble finding cloths to fit. I still make them clothes periodically. About the only thing I haven't done is the guitar case.