Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Why do I try to do so many things? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/why-do-i-try-do-so-many-things-t236539.html)

marymc 12-11-2013 01:36 PM

Why do I try to do so many things?

I have so much on my plate right now and I won't give any of them up. Still need to finish my best friends wall hanging. I need to make a simple bag for my daughters best friend. Started a Quick Trip Around the World for my son's girl friend. Husband and I are making Doll cradles for the grand daughters. I have already stained them and put 3 coats of varnish on one side. Tried to do the second coat on 2nd side this morning before work. I went over all the pieces with steel wool and was wiping them off with cheesecloth when I upset the stack and dropped them all on the floor. Of course I tried in vain to catch them and only succeeded in getting hit on the wrist. Now my wrist is swollen and bruised. Tonight is family supper so i won't get much done. Unless no one can come because it's below zero outside. Working again tomorrow and Friday I have several women from my quilt guild coming to try to finish up a project. At my house which should be cleaned first. Oh, and I have not put up the tree or decorated yet. 2 Christmas parties on Saturday. Nothing is wrapped and I still need to pick up a few gifts. Oh my! I love Christmas!! Does everyone take on too much this time of year? :thumbup:

ILoveToQuilt 12-11-2013 01:42 PM

What I prescribe (I am not a doctor, but I do play one on TV...no just kidding) is a quick sit, cuppa (tea, coffee, wine, what have you) and breathe deeply! If you can work it in a nice soak in the tub with pretty smelling "stuff". You need a bit of time for YOU and everything else will fall into place. Yes, you do have lots on your plate, but as my DH always says "it beats the alternative!"

Have a "relaxing" few days...or at least try to. Wish I lived closer, I'd come by and lend a hand (New Hampshire isn't quite next door), but my thoughts are with you!

Anita

hopetoquilt 12-11-2013 05:27 PM

Try to create a schedule of when you will do each thing. This way you don't feel overwhelmed. You will be more productive when you have less stress.

I often take on too much. I have learned to say "no" so that I am only doing the things I love and that are appreciated. If you are not having fun, it isn't worth it. I actually like to be very busy and productive. I just try not to overdo it.

sassey 12-11-2013 06:43 PM

Enjoy al lthe hussle and bussle you have going on some day you might not be able to do a lot of those things but you will have your memories of how much you used to do.I know I used to do all that stuff but now I cannot and I sure miss it

lynnie 12-11-2013 07:58 PM

I make all my cards early, write them out and hold onto them till mail date. I make all my gifts early. starting on next years ornaments. have about a dozen done already. will be starting on gifts soon. everything is wrapped. got all my dh gifts in October. got son in nov, got him the air ipad. all else bought last week. stocking stuffers are all purchased and just need to get dh's. made cookies b4, oatmeal, tomorrow m&m's and chocolate chips and fudge. if it doesn't get done, so be it. I do everything early and relax. I even have my pincushions done 6 months in advance. I'm always early . know when to say no.

alleyoop1 12-12-2013 05:21 AM

I think many of us need to prioritize what is really important at Christmas time. I've had a big awakening this year as I was diagnosed with breast cancer on 10/18/13 - our wedding anniversary - and had surgery on 11/4. I can't do what I normally do and it's caused me some depression but I am struggling against it. So this year the kids get small packages and checks. There is always next year - God willing. This year the most important part of Christmas for me this year is praising Him and loving my family.

MeLuvQuilts 12-12-2013 05:50 AM

Great Advice! I think we do tend to forget about ourselves!

mighty 12-12-2013 06:53 AM

Yeaks, sounds like a lot!!!!!

clem55 12-12-2013 07:02 AM

Dear Lynnie, I admire so much people who get things done early, but you sure make the rest of us look lazy.LOL If I bought gifts a year ahead of time, I'd probably forget where I hid them, and would have to run out and last minute shop anyway. I'm 75 years old, and believe me, I mean old! I have had to cut back on so many traditional things, that a lot of the "fun" has gone by the wayside for me. But, I still have all my kids and grands on Christmas eve, and sharing the evening with them, hearing their love and laughter , that is all that matters to any of us. Well, the little ones want presents!!LOL Last year I had a mild stroke the day before Christmas, so mild that it went unnoticed except in hindsight. My mild "confusion" was just looked at as Mom's getting distracted again. By New Years eve I was in the hospital with blood clots in my lung and pretty sick. So this year, all that matters is we are all still here. If everything isn't quite the way it use to be., so be it. I just don't worry about things like that anymore.

Jingle 12-12-2013 09:49 AM

I have been very busy at Christmas time, not anymore. I work full time and have the normal chores at home to do. I have a little dog, three cats and a bird to take care of. and they all create more work. I keep a clean home,I don't put up Christmas decorations for Christmas Eve at our house. Our Grandkids go from 11 to 26. Their Families or them decorate. I cook the meal and spending time together will have to be enough. I buy gift cards and that makes everyone happy. Seems so many things have to be done at the last minute. Three Great Grandkids, only one is local, will buy him a stuffed animal, he is 6 months. Gave the other two's Dad money to shop for them.