Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Why is it when I make a gluten free pie this happens lol (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/why-when-i-make-gluten-free-pie-happens-lol-t135889.html)

AbbyQuilts 07-07-2011 11:49 AM

3 Attachment(s)
My husband has celiac disease. He has had it for years but he would not go on the diet until just recently. The diet is eliminating gluten. It is a protein found in wheat,barley and rye. So not white flour.

This weekend we are having a family reunion for my husbands family. I am making pies for it. Since my husband, his father and his niece all have celiac I have to make everything twice. Gluten and non gluten.

Here are the results. Both homemade crust both the same berry recipe. And look!! UGGHHH I give up lol

I was such a good cook and baker before gluten free. Now I feel like a 5 year old in the kitchen. Everything I thought I knew is now different. LOL one day I will get it. The worst part about it all is I agreed to go on the diet for moral support (and its easier to have a dedicated gluten free house) but I so want a bite of the regular pie lol

Reg pie (with flour)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]222456[/ATTACH]

Gluten free pie (with rice flour blend)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]222457[/ATTACH]

Compare
[ATTACH=CONFIG]222458[/ATTACH]

RatherB Quilting 07-07-2011 11:51 AM

I'd probably still eat it!! :) They look yummy!

irishrose 07-07-2011 11:56 AM

Do you have xanthan gum in your mix? I mix rice flour, coconut flour, tapioca flour and xantham gum and have had good results lately. I also have gluten free oatmeal flour which adds a nice flavor. But some people can't have oatmeal at all.

BTW, your pie looks wonderful. We celiacs know things may look a little different and appreciate your efforts.

kraftykimberly 07-07-2011 12:03 PM

Yes yes, it does look yucky. You just box that thing right up and send it on over to my house where I will dispose of that ugly pie properly for you :-)

AbbyQuilts 07-07-2011 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose
Do you have xanthan gum in your mix? I mix rice flour, coconut flour, tapioca flour and xantham gum and have had good results lately. I also have gluten free oatmeal flour which adds a nice flavor. But some people can't have oatmeal at all.

BTW, your pie looks wonderful. We celiacs know things may look a little different and appreciate your efforts.

I did put xanthan gum in it. I used rice, tapioca and corn starch. The crust itself I think is alright I was just so disappointed that it bubbled over like that. I kept watching it and kept watching it. I checked it one last time and said it needs maybe 5 mins went back in 3 and it looked like that lol. If the crust had browned like the regular pie I might have been able to catch it but it didnt. Ohh well I am sure it is still good.
And thanks I am trying. I have made the best cookies my husband has ever had (so he says lol) and I found some pretty good doughnuts and he likes the bisquick pancakes

DebraK 07-07-2011 12:23 PM

What an awful pie! Here, let me take care of that mess for you. CHOMP!

cowpie2 07-07-2011 12:25 PM

Have you tried an egg wash on top of the crust? That can help with the browning. My Grandma always said the boiled over pies showed they were home made and thus would taste better.

LoriEl 07-07-2011 12:31 PM

It's the taste that matters, right? They know you can bake, just look at the other!

amma 07-07-2011 12:43 PM

I think it looks marvelous :D:D:D

redkimba 07-07-2011 12:47 PM

That second pie looks terrible - you should give it to me so I can test it for "quality control" :P