Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Wild grapes = jelly (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/wild-grapes-%3D-jelly-t193983.html)

Ccorazone 07-08-2012 09:42 AM

Wild grapes = jelly

1 Attachment(s)
I went and picked wild grapes today. About 20 pounds worth. I will wash and clean them later, cook them up and use the juice to make jelly. The deep purple I get is awesome, and the jelly is the best. I give the jelly as gifts throughout the year.

EllieGirl 07-08-2012 09:57 AM

I tried making jelly a couple of years ago and it didn't thicken. What do you use to make sure it thickens? I am on the process right now of canning green beans. The pressure regulator has been rocking about 10 minutes and I have about 15 minutes left.

Ccorazone 07-08-2012 10:04 AM

I use Sure Jell powder kind.

Susan G. 07-08-2012 10:13 AM

I love home canned jellies. I cooked and juiced black cherry's last week for jelly. I usually make my jelly early fall or last summer. When it cools down.

ptquilts 07-08-2012 10:37 AM

you are lucky, we have wild grapes around here but they have NO flavor. I do love making jelly with blackberries or apples/crabapples.

Here is a tip, I keep a ziploc bag in my freezer all year, when I cut up apples for something, I throw the cores in the bag. When I make blackberry jelly, I put the apple cores in and cook it all together. Adds pectin and makes the jelly jell. I don't like to spend any more money than I have to.

drgranny 07-08-2012 10:53 AM

grapes don't need surjel. they have plenty of natural pectin to jell without it.

ShowMama 07-09-2012 07:52 AM

We used to do this too. I love to make homemade grape jelly. My mother would also just can the juice in quart jars whe I was a kid. She would open a jar and pour the juice into a pitcher, add some water and sugar, and we would have the best grape juice in the world. Much better than Kool-Aid.

Where did you get your grapes? I've been wanting to make grape jelly again, but I can't find anyone in my area who has wild grapes. The heat and drought of the last couple of summers have prevented the grapes from making. But when I find some, I will definitely make my jelly!

Delta 07-09-2012 07:57 AM

didn't you die any fabric with that wonderful deep purple.?????

Ccorazone 07-09-2012 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by ShowMama (Post 5350662)
We used to do this too. I love to make homemade grape jelly. My mother would also just can the juice in quart jars whe I was a kid. She would open a jar and pour the juice into a pitcher, add some water and sugar, and we would have the best grape juice in the world. Much better than Kool-Aid.

Where did you get your grapes? I've been wanting to make grape jelly again, but I can't find anyone in my area who has wild grapes. The heat and drought of the last couple of summers have prevented the grapes from making. But when I find some, I will definitely make my jelly!

I'm close to Dallas. We have lots of wild grapes here

ShowMama 07-10-2012 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Ccorazone (Post 5350774)
I'm close to Dallas. We have lots of wild grapes here

Well, my DD & DSIL live south of Waxahachie. I may just have to send them over to your area to see if they can find some. Thanks.