Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Wood Heat and Sinuses (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/wood-heat-sinuses-t34029.html)

Cresha 01-14-2010 02:39 AM

We have a pellet stove (which I love!) and use a humidifier. A contractor friend of my husband told him that if the humidity is over 60 mold will start to grow in the house. I think our humidistat is not working right though (it is almost 25 years old) because I keep our humidity at 65 or we have problems with our sinuses. I don't have any mold growing in my house.

marsye 01-14-2010 04:57 AM

I have a hydrometer and its showing about 32% which is supposed to be good but ideal is about 45%.....so I put 2 pots of water on top of the stove. I already had 2 humidifiers going.

Oklahoma Suzie 01-14-2010 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
I grew up in a house with only wood heat. That's all my parents still have today. We have found the only way to keep the air moist enough is to keep a pot of water on the stove. Mom just uses an old cast iron pot but there are pretty things available.

That's the best thing to do.

knlsmith 01-14-2010 09:42 AM

Sorry I didnt mean to double post I really really am. It was an accident.

BellaBoo 01-14-2010 11:28 AM

We use wood heat and have an insert in the fireplace. My DD is allergic to most of the wood we burn but the allergist made allergy drops specified to what she was allergic to and it doesn't bother her to be around wood heat anymore. The air does tend to get very dry faster than with other heat. I keep a big cast iron tea pot of water on top of the insert. I open the dishwasher and let the steam out instead of heat dry cycle. Moisture makes the air feel warmer. For anyone that has never used wood heat, do not burn pine logs in a stove or fireplace. Pine is used for kindling only.

littlehud 01-16-2010 10:44 PM

We heated one of our past housed with wood and had problems with dry air all winter. I usually don't have a problem here, but this year I'm noticing the air is unusually dry. I'm breaking out the humidifier for my bedroom.

mayday 01-26-2010 10:55 AM

Am very sorry to read of your problem, have had a woodburner for 26 years as when we moved here there was no natural gas and LPG considered to wet/smelly/dangerous.
I have asthma and COPD but have never experienced any problems like you describe; we use well dried wood stored in airy wood sheds and always have ALL doors open throughout the house [except outer doors of course] which causes good air flow.
Are you using dry weathered wood that is not allowed to get wet in storage?

Jingle 01-26-2010 01:13 PM

We have heated with L.P. gas and have for years and cooked with it for 45 Yr.s. It is only smelly if it leaks. They put an odorant in it to let you know it is leaking.

We have had a wood buring stove to make living area more comfortable for the last 25 yr.s and we keep a pot of water on top, and I think it helps. Dry wood is a must.