Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Would you buy, even if not "perfect"? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/would-you-buy-even-if-not-%22perfect%22-t88422.html)

blzzrdqueen 01-07-2011 10:42 AM

Would you buy a hand made item, even if you studied it and found it wasn't perfect? For example...a tote bag with pockets, and the pocket on the outside wasn't centered? Or a quilt with wonky crooked stitches?

Quilter7x 01-07-2011 10:43 AM

I would not pay a lot of money for it, but yes I would buy something that isn't perfect. It makes the item unique. :)

sharon b 01-07-2011 10:45 AM

If I really liked it and the imperfections were not glaring - sure why not :lol: I don't think I have ever made anything perfect :roll: LOL

Rebecca VLQ 01-07-2011 10:45 AM

Yes, but those are usually sold at a discounted price and labelled as a "second" and the flaw listed. :D

Many people will snap up on an item such as that, as long as the sewing is sound.

KathyAire 01-07-2011 10:45 AM

It would certainly depend on the item. I would buy a bag with a pocket that was off center. The quilt - depends on how wonky. Also, if it's custom made, I would probably buy it because I selected the colors, pattern, etc.

blzzrdqueen 01-07-2011 10:46 AM

The reason I ask.... :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Is because I'm making a bow tuck to sell, and the front pocket is off center, just a bit...I think it will show, because the handles are all centered, but now the pocket is not and I double zig zagged in into place, so I can't rip it off and re-sew....I'm not sure what I was going to charge for it, after cost of materials and time spent creating it, I was going to charge between $35-40...that's what they are going for on Etsy, but now I just don't know.... :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Quilter7x 01-07-2011 10:48 AM

Very good question. Is it possible for you to add a pocket beside it that you could put a pen into? That would take the focus off the big pocket being off center.

blzzrdqueen 01-07-2011 10:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Quilter7x
Very good question. Is it possible for you to add a pocket beside it that you could put a pen into? That would take the focus off the big pocket being off center.

Here is a pic of the outside panel with the pocket...if I were to add a small pocket, I think it would extend further then I would want.....

oatw13 01-07-2011 10:55 AM

Hmm... Now that I see the picture, I don't think it is that bad. Yes, when I look at it this way I can see it is off a hair, but I think if it is hanging by the handles and maybe had some padding indie, I don't think I would notice it.

GwynR 01-07-2011 10:56 AM

Did someone already pay for it? If so, I would ask them, and maybe offer a discount. In they don't want it, make another for them and post this one for sale, with a picture of the off center pocket and a price. Anyone buying it at that point knows what they are getting. If it doesn't sale, lower the price and try again.