Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Wrapped thread (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/wrapped-thread-t219414.html)

Sheila_Newhouse 04-17-2013 07:35 PM

Wrapped thread

I don't know if anyone else has ever run into this, and in a way it is a lesson to be learned.. I use an office chair with rollers for sitting and sewing, the other day when I was cleaning my sewing room,(which I call my garage) I moved the chair and saw some thread strings on the bottom of the roller, so turning the chair over I saw what a mess I had, I am one that usually misses the waste basket, and never think about it, anyway the thread around the roller was a mess, looked just like the brushes on my vacuum cleaner, I spent a good hour with the scissors and tweezers getting it out of all 5 rollers, so from now on I am going to either hit the waste basket more or check the bottom of the rollers more, just which one I think of first.. :)

QuiltnNan 04-18-2013 02:11 AM

i feel your pain. perhaps you can make yourself one of those thread catcher baskets for next to your machine... easier to get the threads into.

GailG 04-18-2013 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan (Post 6009577)
i feel your pain. perhaps you can make yourself one of those thread catcher baskets for next to your machine... easier to get the threads into.

I have the same problem. I find that when I tape a little lunch-size paper bag to the front of the sewing table, I do a better job of containing threads. GEtting threads into the wastebasket is nearly impossible.

Prism99 04-18-2013 11:45 AM

I keep a roll of painter's tape handy. Roll it around my hand a couple of times, sticky side out, and stick it on a convenient place. It's easy to just touch threads to the tape and have them stick. When the roll is filled with threads I throw it out and create a new one. This works better for me than thread bags.

Jan in VA 04-18-2013 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99 (Post 6010895)
I keep a roll of painter's tape handy. Roll it around my hand a couple of times, sticky side out, and stick it on a convenient place. It's easy to just touch threads to the tape and have them stick. When the roll is filled with threads I throw it out and create a new one. This works better for me than thread bags.

Prism, What a simple, fabulous, "DOH!" idea!

About the rolling chair....I thought that's what the rollers were actually for!! :p

Jan in VA

Nammie to 7 04-18-2013 06:05 PM

I've had issues with my vacuum and threads - now I try to hit the garbage more often - and before I vacuum I pick up as much loose thread as I can. Never thought to look at the rollers on my chair - guess that is a project for tomorrow.

auntpiggylpn 04-19-2013 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA (Post 6011544)
Prism, What a simple, fabulous, "DOH!" idea!

About the rolling chair....I thought that's what the rollers were actually for!! :p

Jan in VA

If the thread wraps around the chair casters it keeps them from wrapping around the brush bar on my vacuum ! :D

sap 04-19-2013 01:59 PM

guess I'm lazy, don't seem to have enough time to make a thread catcher. I put a piece of scrap corduroy on the corner of my sewing machine. static electricity holds the threads and when my project is finished I put the threads in the trash.