Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Writing Instructions/Directions (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/writing-instructions-directions-t287651.html)

bearisgray 04-20-2017 08:15 AM

Writing Instructions/Directions

There have been many times I would like to add a "this is how I do it" to a thread - and then when it comes time to put it in words - even with an illustration or two - I get about half way through and then discard it because it has become too cumbersome to continue.

I also don't know if what the person wants is "just what time it is" or "how to design and make a watch/time-piece" when it comes to detail.

On the plus side of this - I now have a lot more respect for well-written- and illustrated - instructions.

So - to those that share their knowledge with well-thought out responses and tutorials - Thank You!!

cjsews 04-20-2017 08:37 AM

I feel the same way. Sometimes writing directions leave me confused and I think there must be a better way to explain what I want. Best to keep my ideas to myself rather than leave another with more questions than they started with and

cashs_mom 04-20-2017 09:40 AM

Writing instructions is really an art. My husband has a line of truck accessories that he sells online as a side business. He writes installation instructions and has really struggled even though he adds pics and sometimes even drawings to show what he means. I've tried it once or twice with some success but it's not really something I'm good at.

popover 04-20-2017 09:46 AM

I can show ya, but have a hard time telling ya, so I usually leave that to others.

ube quilting 04-20-2017 12:33 PM

Bear, you always do a great job of explaining things and answering questions. I always learn something from you. Peckish, you also are very well versed in explaining things in a way we can understand. And there is Dunster who is always a big help too. Thankfully there are good people here to help us with our difficulties.

Thank you for all you share with us.

quiltingcandy 04-20-2017 12:49 PM

I worked for an insurance company that developed its own claim program and I was fortunate enough to work on it and help write the training manual. It was difficult because things that most people take for granted, others do not. So if you really are trying to teach others and you do not know the skill level, you do need to tell them how to build a watch. It helps a lot when you can add pictures too - because you may use a local term, that has a different meaning somewhere else.

Sometimes it is best to write it out in a Word program then paste it into the QB. That way you can check for errors easily and maybe have a friend read it too.

nativetexan 04-20-2017 02:20 PM

Oh yes, I've gotten things that must be put together (not quilting) and the instructions are just terrible. so we are all thankful I'm sure for clear precise language that tells us exactly what to do.

quiltingshorttimer 04-20-2017 09:52 PM

I wrote a pattern for a friend's LQS and have to say it was about the hardest thing I've ever done! The hardest part is not knowing how much instruction the user actually needs. For example, do you need to give directions for making binding or can you assume they know how to do it. I totally respect those designers that write good patterns--it's hard!

tessagin 04-21-2017 02:44 AM

Love those who can write instructions and you can actually picture the movements in the mind's eye. Hate when I've paid for a pattern that states "easy to follow" instructions and you can't make heads or tails because of referencing back and forth. That's why I check for videos first.

carolynjo 04-21-2017 05:52 AM

When I wrote instructions for the state-mandated reading tests, I assumed NOTHING! I would write the instructions in minute detail because some of your quilters may be newbies who need clear, step-by-step instructions. Have more than 1 person read the instructions to see if they are clear. There is nothing worse than buying a big bucks pattern and finding that the instructions are nearly useless.