Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Yet another newer scam (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/yet-another-newer-scam-t192482.html)

QKO 06-22-2012 06:41 AM

Yet another newer scam

Lately some people have been victimized by a newer scam, one made possible by the remote access features in Windows 7. Here's how it works --

Someone calls you on the phone, claiming to be from Microsoft or from Norton or some other respected company. They claim that your computer has reported a virus, and that they can remove it remotely, for free.

If you agree, they'll start a remote session on your computer, which you'll need to approve by clicking on a button. They'll appear to be removing a virus, meanwhile they'll be planting a key-logger or other malware on your computer that will give them full access to your machine, including all your stored passwords, etc.

Please, if someone calls you with a virus story, don't agree to let them "fix" it.

bearisgray 06-22-2012 06:45 AM

Guess there are a couple of advantages to having an almost obsolete machine! :rolleyes: :confused:

nativetexan 06-22-2012 06:52 AM

yep, already got a call. i told him i didn't have a computer!!!

crafty pat 06-22-2012 06:58 AM

Thanks for the warning.

judy363905 06-22-2012 07:07 AM

there is also a flashing shield (with 4patch of blue and yellow) when you click on it -- it says you have a trojan and 78 virsus on your computer... they claim to be Windows Shield and can protect your computer says to click on remove this issue and it actually disables you Macafee / Norton and down loads their program... then they try to get your bank information... even tries to send a fake email from your bank... what a mess... do not click on that shield...I guess by now you know how I know... did get issue cleaned up and Macfee is back on my system. They people need to get a JOB and stop this.
Judy in Phx, AZ

luvstoquilt 06-22-2012 07:27 AM

Thanks for the warning!

nivosum 06-22-2012 11:15 AM

If you have Caller ID, don't pick for phone numbers you do not recognize. They can leave a message if you have an answering machine.

nativetexan 06-22-2012 12:18 PM

my husband picks up the phone, no matter who it may be. I try to get there first but can't run that fast.

miss_ticky2 06-24-2012 02:45 AM

I had that call some months ago. For a bit of fun I decided to let the guy carry on instead of hanging up like I usually do..lol. He became very insistent and didn't like that I said, if my computer crashes I'll take it to my local guy thank you very much...lol. I ended up having to just hang up on him. Of course, my computer hasn't crashed :)

JENNR8R 06-24-2012 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by nivosum (Post 5308852)
If you have Caller ID, don't pick for phone numbers you do not recognize. They can leave a message if you have an answering machine.

I've gotten to the point that I don't answer my home phone at all. I've tried for years to get organizations to put me on their "Do Not Call" list. Anyone that I want to talk to knows my cellphone number. When I'm home, I turn on my fax machine. That way after two rings they get the fax signal... Take That Scammers! :p