Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
product packaging changes and recipes!! >

product packaging changes and recipes!!

product packaging changes and recipes!!

Old 12-12-2012, 10:07 AM

'One recipe recently called for a 17oz. cake mix that is now 15 1/2oz. '

I was just thinking about the change in mix ounces yesterday when I was writing out a recipe for Jiffly Corn Mix Cornbread. Orginal recipe called for 8 oz. package of Jiffy and I made a mental note to check out the actual package size when I go to supermarket this week.

I use a package of cake mix plus eggs and other ingredients to make a 'pound' cake. Lately it hasn't been as tasty as it used to be, kind of dry and gets a crispy crust. Guess that's because the cake mix is much less now than when the orginal recipe was created.

Last edited by May in Jersey; 12-12-2012 at 10:12 AM.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:26 PM

Changing the net weight is bad, but I think that cheapening the ingredients AND raising the price is CRIMINAL! Case in point--Imperial margarine. Used to be wrapped in a gold, foil wrapper (which my Mom saved in November to put over the breast of the turkey to keep it from getting too brown), and melted well for frying eggs and such. Now, we get a waxy wrapper and it gives off a burst of steam when it hits the frypan from all the water that's whipped into it. Prices have at least doubled!

We home cooks who take pride in our recipes are doomed if this continues! I think I'm going to the Imperial website right now and let them know what I think!
Old 12-12-2012, 04:31 PM

So who has contacted the manufactures to complain? It won't stop if we don't say something. I have started emailing nice letters of concern about things that don't seem right.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:49 PM

Especially at this time of year when baking is high...the semi sweet chocolate chips (any brand) is down from 16 oz. to 12 oz....makes cookies look less full of chips...when the recipes call for 2 cups not a 1 and 1/2 and the price as gone up....we are not stupid...was looking for butternut bread and asked the store clerk who was stocking the shelves about it he simply stated on we are out of it....; then i asked, with many others around are you out of it or is it part of the Hostess products that will not be seen back in your store. He said i am not sure. Went to the source...it's part of Hostess, why lie to customers...honesty in my book still is the best policy. We need to complain to manufacturers they are the ones changing package sizing....are they that removed from their customer that they believe the majority of food shoppers (women) are stupid....we are not.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:44 PM

There's really a lot of very bad things happening with our food supply and it's far worse than lowering weights and jacking prices. Almost ALL the sugar and soy in this country (US) are genetically modified which have been proven to cause organ failure.Even 3rd world countries are banning GMO's but not US...follow the money. The best thing to do is not buy packaged or prepared food and try to make everything from scratch and whatever you do, please research margarine...it's an ungodly mix of chemicals. Go for the butter and do your best to buy local if possible.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:01 PM

When I was in high school 69-72, we used to make fudge. It was wonderful. Made it every year at Christmas, then one year about 6 years ago it failed, tried making it again, thinking I did something wrong, and it failed again. It was horrid and grainy. Spoke to other family members and they had the same thing happen. I was ready to pitch the recipe and my husband started reading weights and started playing with the recipe wrote it out and it has been fine since. But I also think there have been some ingredients had changes in them more than weight.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
I've learned to put weights and/or measures on my favorite recipes now!

I have an old recipe that calls for "a 5 cent Hershey bar" - - - -

Now I would say "approximately four ounces of a milk chocolate Hershey bar"

The weights and volume are changing on just about everything.
I remember buying and eating many 5 cent Hershey bars! That must be a very old recipe. Tasty too I bet.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:21 AM

Well it looks like we will have to start buying local more and pre packaged less. I haven't used margrine in years after I read how many chemicals it has in it. I don't buy chocolate as often anymore, what I try to buy is organic and free trade etc so much more expensive and haven't bought Hershey bars in a couple of years. It became too sweet also waxy feeling to the mouth. I haven't made cookies in a number of years so will make sure I check the packages if I do this year. I remember someone once told me , Something is only worth as much as someone will pay for it. So If I can do without something I don't give them my money. I would do more bread baking canning etc if my health weren't so lousy . I hate having to buy premade things.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:00 PM

Isn't it annoying that the procuct companies think we don't notice?????
Old 12-13-2012, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by greenini View Post
This practice long predates the draught, it's the greedy companies thinking we "stupid" consumers never noticed when they slipped an once or 2 silently out of the coffee can, detergent box, cake mix box, etc. I wish there was some way to let them know we have noticed and are not happy about it! I think they started with the coffee and cranberries at least 10 yrs ago, maybe more.
Totally agree!!