Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Project "Teaching my 18 yera old brother how to cook" >

Project "Teaching my 18 yera old brother how to cook"

Project "Teaching my 18 yera old brother how to cook"

Old 01-22-2011, 11:05 AM

When my boys were small I had them pick out what they wanted to eat for one night a week then I was "mean" and made them help me make it. Now my youngest will ask every now and then if he can make something. Myabe someday your brother will thank you.
Old 01-23-2011, 12:08 PM

Here's a picture of the roast from the other night.
[IMG]http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q...s/100_0067.jpg[/IMG]

Last night after work I saw a heart shaped waffle iron for $15. I think I'm going to get one next paycheck. I think I remember seeing a recipe for waffles in America's Test Kitchen. If not, I know Alton Brown has one. I think learning how to make our own waffles would benefit us both. In my case, it would add to my cooking repitoire. In Zach's case, it would come in handy if there's ever another shortage on Eggo waffles and chicks would be impressed by a guy who can make waffles from scratch. I know I'd be impressed if a guy could make homemade waffles.
Old 01-27-2011, 06:19 PM

I bought that waffle iron that makes heart shaped waffles. I'm so glad I did!

Zach and I just got finished making Buttermilk Waffles. Okay, I made most of them. We both made the batter. He did make a few batches. His third batch offered a lesson: Always use cooking spray before each batch of waffles. His third batch got stuck to the bottom of the waffle iron. He got discouraged after that so I decided to make the rest of them. But he did really good on the other two batches he made. So Zach made a total of six heart shaped waffles...nine counting the ones that got destroyed from being chiseled out and even those looked good. Well, the tops of them anyways. So I consider that a win.

Mental note: Waffle irons are HARD to clean. Cleaning it is like cleaning a skillet and a grill grate at the same time. Trying to get in between those squares on a waffle iron is NOT easy! Hence the valuable lesson on cooking spray.

The waffles were delicious! Eggo can't hold a candle to what came out of my waffle iron. It took a while to get through all that batter (my iron makes smaller waffles), but it actually wasn't all that hard to make and well worth the time to make.

Can't seem to find the camera so no pictures of golden brown heart shaped waffle deliciousness. Aaaaw.
Old 01-27-2011, 06:27 PM

My boys both had to take home ec in high school. I remember the first things that they made were orange julius's and egg mc muffins. They were both so pleased with themselves, so guess what we had for dinner?
Old 01-27-2011, 06:27 PM

So nice of you to teach your brother to cook...He will thank-you on down the road for doing this...Oh the roast does look so yummy makes me want one now.Thanks for sharing(:)
Old 01-27-2011, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by mountain-moma
So nice of you to teach your brother to cook...He will thank-you on down the road for doing this...Oh the roast does look so yummy makes me want one now.Thanks for sharing(:)
I can share the recipe if you'd like.

We devoured the waffles, by the way.