Providence, RI

Old 09-18-2011, 01:15 AM

Just reaching out. My DS has applied for a job in Providence, RI (we are in the PNW). For lots of reasons this is a good time in his life to have an adventure and go someplace new. I would never say anything that would discourage him and am genuinely excited for his opportunity. I am also devistated at the thought. He is the kid that I am closest to and the thought of losing him little by little because of such a long distance is scary.

I have read so many like comments from moms and thought that they needed to get their own lives. Well, I have my own life and it is still a tough moment. On behalf of all the moms out there I apologize for my snarky thoughts and boy does karma work.

Any one from Providence reading tonight?
Old 09-18-2011, 03:25 AM
Power Poster

It's never easy to have them far away, but somehow we adjust.
Old 09-18-2011, 04:07 AM
Power Poster

Anna, I hear you!! We have only 1 out of our three boys living near us. It's not easy but we do adjust.

I like the old days where all families lived in the same town. :D Those days are long gone!

The bottom line is my kids are happy and are doing things they went to college for. Sometimes I have to remind myself that they are living THEIR lives, just as I am living mine.
Hope this helps- and here's a HUG
Sue
Old 09-18-2011, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by Anna.425
Just reaching out. My DS has applied for a job in Providence, RI (we are in the PNW). For lots of reasons this is a good time in his life to have an adventure and go someplace new. I would never say anything that would discourage him and am genuinely excited for his opportunity. I am also devistated at the thought. He is the kid that I am closest to and the thought of losing him little by little because of such a long distance is scary.

I have read so many like comments from moms and thought that they needed to get their own lives. Well, I have my own life and it is still a tough moment. On behalf of all the moms out there I apologize for my snarky thoughts and boy does karma work.

Any one from Providence reading tonight?

There is not many on the quiltng board from Rhode Island. I hope your son gets the job. Any questions about RI just PM me. Don't forget that RI is so small that you can go to Conn. in 45 mins and to MA. in 20 mins.
Old 09-18-2011, 09:15 AM

I'm somewhat close in New Hampshire. Hugs to you.
Old 09-18-2011, 09:22 AM

Lived in RI for MANY years (and LOVED it!!!!!) while hubby was in the Navy. We owned a house in Newport (too many tourists), then bought a house in Bristol whose claim to fame is the oldest 4th of July parade in the Nation and also has the state's largest state park (Colt State Park and it is wonderful!!!). There was also a bike path along the edge of the bay from Bristol and working its way towards Providence. LOVED walking it with my baby in the stroller. The color of the sea in the fall is a most gorgeous blue. So MUCH to do and so MANY things in close driving distance. We probably would have retired there except we chose to come back to my husband's little hometown in the Finger Lakes. The only drawback to the state is the high price of homes now.
Old 09-18-2011, 09:45 AM

I'm in CT; Providence is a neat town, has a strong artsy contingency that is great for young adults. Strong college population. Beaches are easy driving distance, as are Boston and CT. Lots and lots for him to do; arrange to visit him in the fall or spring, there's loads of beautiful places to see!
Old 09-18-2011, 11:48 AM

I know how you feel. My youngest son came to me one day and said he and his wife were moving. I said where, Ann Arbor? They like that area and it's only 45 minutes from me. Was I ever surprised when he said China. They are starting their third year over there. Get Skype for your computer. You can see each other and chat.
Old 09-18-2011, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by gmaybee
I know how you feel. My youngest son came to me one day and said he and his wife were moving. I said where, Ann Arbor? They like that area and it's only 45 minutes from me. Was I ever surprised when he said China. They are starting their third year over there. Get Skype for your computer. You can see each other and chat.
My baby's significant other moved to Boston and she is moving there to be with him next summer. Thanks for the tip!
Old 09-18-2011, 01:39 PM

But it is fun to visit them!