The Quake...

Old 08-24-2011, 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by DebsShelties
The safest place in an Earthquake is OUTSIDE in the open where things can't fall on top of you! Especially if you are near the center and buildings are coming down.
A doorway or under a table is for tornados.
I used to live in San Diego, we had Earthquakes a lot. Everyone knew what to do when they happened.
Table or a doorway are not going to protect you if the structure comes down.
Yeah, if you're in a tornado DO NOT stand in a doorway or get under a table unless it is literally breaking down your door before you have time to get underground. Even then, the doorway is a good idea for structure but horrible for flying (horizontal) debris.

At least in an earthquake a table can protect your head from anything falling (vertically) from the walls or ceiling.

There is no "outside" where I live that can't be reached by falling buildings and debris. Good thing we don't have these earthquakes often, I suppose.
Old 08-24-2011, 03:55 AM

The safest place in an Earthquake is OUTSIDE in the open where things can't fall on top of you! Especially if you are near the center and buildings are coming down.
I used to live in San Diego, we had Earthquakes a lot. Everyone knew what to do when they happened.
this is totally true and why when the large earthquake hit the Bay area there were so many deaths. I lived there then and couldn't wait to get back to the east coast. We had a month of aftershocks that did more damage to my house than the earthquake did. We lived on an island and there was no safe way off of it. Now we know we get them here but I'm still glad I came back here (I've lived here mostly since 74) at least the chances of us getting one is very slim.
Old 08-24-2011, 03:56 AM

Felt it in central KY, Lexington area.

Cathy S/Willowwind
Old 08-24-2011, 03:58 AM

Over the years they have discovered that being under a doorway or table in an earthquake ended up with people getting crushed.
Tornados have wind, Earthquakes do not. On a building the highest point rocks the most and is more likely to fall.
I can remember one that was located in Mexico City that was about off the scale, it was felt all the way to Nevada! It was in the middle of the night, my birds started screaming, I jumped up and grabbed their cages and held on to ride it out. Felt like the building was going to come off the foundation.
There are also ones that have demolished ball parks, where people got under the seats and were killed by the falling upper levels.
Old 08-24-2011, 05:08 AM

Well ya know what?? I'm so glad none of you were hurt and were able to live & write to tell about it!! Thank God!! :lol: :-D
Old 08-24-2011, 07:36 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Deb, *getting* outisde in an earthquake can be very difficult and dangerous. Actually, the California standard for earthquake safety is "Drop, Cover, and Hold on". (Researched this after the fact......well, better late than never!)

This from their website:
"Trying to move during shaking puts you at risk: Earthquakes occur without any warning and may be so violent that you cannot run or crawl; you therefore will most likely be knocked to the ground where you happen to be. So it is best to drop before the earthquake drops you, and find nearby shelter or use your arms and hands to protect your head and neck. "Drop, Cover, and Hold On" (to a table leg) gives you the best overall chance of quickly protecting yourself during an earthquake... even during quakes that cause furniture to move about rooms, and even in buildings that might ultimately collapse.

The greatest danger is from falling and flying objects: Studies of injuries and deaths caused by earthquakes over the last several decades show that you are much more likely to be injured by falling or flying objects (TVs, lamps, glass, bookcases, etc.) than to die in a collapsed building. "Drop, Cover, and Hold On" (as described above) will protect you from most of these injuries."

I did discover on this site that standing in a doorway is not the safest thing, contrary to what I'd been told. At the moment I jumped from the xray table, I seriously considered ducking under it, but thought I wouldn't fit, LOL! :? :oops: That's why I opted for the doorway next. Hopefully I won't be in an xray lab the next time I experience such a decision!!
http://earthquakecountry.info/dropcoverholdon/

Jan in calm, quiet VA this morning
Old 08-24-2011, 11:18 AM

If I duck it is under a turned over sofa, that is sturdy. I lived in quake country for over 40 years, getting outside after the initial shaking has ended is advisible, the aftershocks are at times more dangerous than the original quake.
I had a warning system of one coming with my dog, when he started howling and did so nonstop, my neignbors and I knew one that was going to be felt was about to happen.
We got a 3 day advance warning.
Calif has quakes all the time, not all are regristered on the scale - you don't feel them.