Quakes from Coast to Coast

Old 08-24-2011, 01:50 PM

When I first heard about the earthquake in Virginia yesterday, Wed. Aug 23, my first concern was for 2 of my children that live there. Once I was assured everything was O.K with them, it was interesting to watch east coasters reaction to the quake. The news channels spent hours interviewing and sharing information. It was especially interesting to hear people who had Never been through a quake describe how it was for them.
I live in the San Fransisco Bay Area were quakes are a very common occurrence. Last night my husband and I were up late (we are both retired). We like watching the first half hour of David Letterman. Last night he was telling a lot of jokes about the "Big Quake" in Virginia. About 5 minutes into his opening we heard a boom and the bed started shaking. We knew in an instant it was an earthquake. David Letterman was talking about an earthquake and WE were having one. I got up to check the internet for information on our quake. I barely had the computer on and a smaller second quake hit.
The epicenter was only 5 miles away-hence we felt it so strongly. The first quake was a 3.6 and the second was only a 2.3. This morning we had another aftershock of 3.4.
No damage reported. This is just life in California.
Old 08-24-2011, 01:51 PM
Google Goddess

oh my, be safe
Old 08-24-2011, 01:55 PM

No matter how small they are unnerving. glad all is well.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:28 PM

Earthquakes!!!! I never got used to them even though I was raised in Cal. They can do alot of damage in a just a few seconds. I heard there was one in CO as well. Be safe!
Old 08-24-2011, 02:28 PM

I went through a few earthquakes in California last year, and the Virginia quake yesterday was different. The Cali quakes shook you around, but the VA quake actually tilted me back and forth, like being rocked sideways.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:36 PM
Power Poster

I think every house in SF bay area has cracks in the ceiling. We were always trying to patch them. Say safe.
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquak...merica_eqs.php
Old 08-24-2011, 02:39 PM

Just got a little rumble. The floor just shook a little. didn't know what it was.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:49 PM

I've actually felt three here in NJ over the years and every time all I can think is "I'm glad I don't live in CA!"
Old 08-24-2011, 02:55 PM

Yes the quake here made for some interesting talk. At first we thought that something BIG hit the building I work in and then we realized it was something else causing the shaking. Since it isn't a unusal occurance here we just sat there and did nothing. Smart thing would have been to leave! Happened so quick though I don't even think I could have made it out in that amount of time. That is the scary part of it and we are on the bottom of a three story building.

Glad yours wasn't to bad. Our main office is in SF, they didn't say anything about it this morning.
Old 08-24-2011, 03:20 PM

We now live in northern Cal on the Ore border. But used to live in San Jose. Both my girls were born there. The biggest quake I was in was a 6.2 back in the mid 1970's. We lived in a mobile home and it felt like it was going to bounce off the support blocks!! They are no fun to go through!! crafty_linda_b