Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Question for the Computerites on this Board >

Question for the Computerites on this Board

Question for the Computerites on this Board

Old 01-22-2011, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by mrs theo
Do you use e-mail? If you forward something to someone, and they forward it to someone...pretty soon strangers have your e-mail address. When I forward an e-mail, I always make sure I delete any names and e-mail addresses on the page. When I send a joke on to many people, I use BCC (which stands for Blind Copy Sent, I don't know where the other C came from) and their e-mail addresses do not show up to each other.
Thank you one and all for your advice. I have in the past applied everything you have said except the span issue. That I will start using regularly. Yes, I have a high rated firewall--got that when I got my new Windows7. And as for the above mentioning of using BCC, I put in red the first line of my BCC forwarding that people should erase, etc. etc. Yet my friends and family continue to send things with gobbs of people I do not know's email addresses. Like I said before, this Internet thing weaves a tight web. Thanks again everyone.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by cathyvv
Everyone gets this kind of email. You are doing the right thing. Keep on deleting them.

Some of the scam emails I have received looked very official, but no reputable business will ask you to give info like SSN, Credit Card #s, birthdays, etc. either on line or over the phone. (Unless you initiated the call without prompting from one of these scam emails.)

And all the emails from 'whoever' in 'whatever' country, who represents some foreign bank or company you never heard that ask you to help them with a business transaction, just deposit $$$$ in some account and you will see a return of 500% - scam.

Just delete.
My sister got an e mail a while back which looked very much like it came from her bank. They asked her for her SS number and some other information to "confirm her information". She contacted her bank instead and they said they NEVER ask for personal information by e mail. That said, only confirm information in person even though its sometimes a big hassle.
Also, if you click on spam others from the same place still might go to your spam box but will disappear after 30 days on their own.