Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Question for garment sewers

Question for garment sewers

My husband recently went on a golf outing with some friends. They stopped at an outlet where there was a golf store, and he bought me a golf skort. Unfortunately, it really isn't a golf skort because there are no pockets for golf balls or tees. It's just a regular skort. Since he purchased this out of state and doesn't want to return it, I'm wondering if there's a way to add a pocket to the skort? I noticed some golf skorts have an insert at the inside bottom where you can tuck a ball and tees, but I have no idea how to do that without stretching the skort. Any other ideas would be much appreciated!

Standing in front of Walmart begging for fat quarters
    Blog Entries
    You can make pockets two ways. You didn't say what sort of fabric the skort is? You can make patch pockets and stitch them on the outside or you can make a pocket with 3/4-inch "flaps", open the side seam, then stitch the pocket in on either side topstitching the front down so that it sits flat in the front. Push comes to shove, make yourself a cool little fanny pack!
    From the artist formerly known as Missus Fear...Hi, my name is Tracy and I am a hobbyaholic.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/blogs/m...ear-79671.html

Power Poster
    The simplest way would be to add a patch pocket - maybe find some material that looks like it was 'intended'?

Maybe add two or three pockets, while you are at it.

Another thought - I've seen 'inside pockets' in some men's swimming trunks -

Blog Entries
    fanny pack sounds easiest. Good luck.

I too think a fanny pack would be the fastest and easiest.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I've volunteered at our local museum that does reenactments etc. Did you know that the dress the pioneer women used to have had pockets? They did, but they weren't attached. They made a pair of pockets on a string that went around your waist. I think they wore them on the inside of their garment. Remember their garments didn't have any zippers just ties and buttons, snaps and eye hooks. You could always make that kind of pockets!
    Keep away from people who belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you too can become great. Mark Twain

Blog Entries
    You could also make a small apron type with a tie in the back that matches the skort. I think pioneer women wore apron with pockets.
    Mother yourself just as you would your own children, you will be surprised how much better you feel...Debbie Marie

Quote Originally Posted by Pepita View Post
    I've volunteered at our local museum that does reenactments etc. Did you know that the dress the pioneer women used to have had pockets? They did, but they weren't attached. They made a pair of pockets on a string that went around your waist. I think they wore them on the inside of their garment. Remember their garments didn't have any zippers just ties and buttons, snaps and eye hooks. You could always make that kind of pockets!
    I would use this idea--make a pocket pouch w/the back fabric extended...open the waistband at the front side and slip this extension up under the band and re-stitch. It would only be attached at the waistband.Your 'pocket-pouch' could be decorative contrasting or decorated with embroidery, etc. Whatever size you need.