Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Question.... Has anyone used this type of fabric? >

Question.... Has anyone used this type of fabric?

Question.... Has anyone used this type of fabric?

Old 05-16-2016, 07:59 AM

I made mask bags with the 500D Cordura for my son's volunteer fire department. It is difficult in that the lining on the fabric is sticky and the needle wants to stay in it when you stop; don't use the needle down option so that each time you start with the needle in the up position. I used a denim needle and had to play a lot with the tension. All the web sites and you tubes will tell you to use an industrial machine, but I did get it accomplished with my DSM.
Old 05-16-2016, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by c joyce View Post
I made mask bags with the 500D Cordura for my son's volunteer fire department. It is difficult in that the lining on the fabric is sticky and the needle wants to stay in it when you stop; don't use the needle down option so that each time you start with the needle in the up position. I used a denim needle and had to play a lot with the tension. All the web sites and you tubes will tell you to use an industrial machine, but I did get it accomplished with my DSM.
Thanks for the information. My Janome 11543 should handle the job. I use it to make outdoor items for my husband and sons. I made 3 canvas fishing bags for them years ago. My husband uses his to carry the towing strap and jumper cables in.......lol I guess that is a hint to make him a new one.
Old 05-17-2016, 08:46 AM

If the material is heavy and several layers, you might think about carpet and button thread(I get it at Wal Mart).. I upholstered 4 chairs with heavy material coated on the back and used jeans needle and the heavier thread. Worth a try, and there is also thread for outdoor material.
Old 05-17-2016, 09:04 AM

I, too, had a problem with skipped stitches, but tried to use a layer of tissue paper under my seam. The fabric wanted to grab the needle and thread, but the tissue paper would push the fabric back up on the shaft, allowing the thread to be caught by the shuttle. Worked pretty well.
Old 05-17-2016, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk View Post
I am still in the pondering stage of this project. I make all of my husband's work aprons, vests because he can never find what he likes in just one item.

My project coming up is a hunting vest with a recoil pad built in. The fabric needs to be waterproof especially for the small game pouch on the back.

My question is:
Anyone have experience sewing this type of fabric "500D Urethane Coated Cordura Nylon Hunting Camouflage Fabric"?
I have a heavy duty Janome machine to work with.
If it were me I'd use "seamstick" from Sailrite. It's a special double stick tape used to keep heavy or stiff fabrics from slipping during sewing. You can find it here: http://www.sailrite.com/Notions/Doub...d-Basting-Tape

If you use the seamstick tape.... rip the tape, do not cut it, as it makes it hard to peel the paper covering off.

I'd also use a jeans needle & heavy thread, maybe a V-69 outdoor thread. Salirite has it & in smaller spools now: http://www.sailrite.com/Notions/Threads/Outdoor-Thread

If the fabric sticks to your sewing machine use strips of tear-away stabilizer or tissue paper underneath. Also your stitches should be a little longer, say a #3 length. I would also top stich seams, if possible, to help waterproof seams.

I repair my brothers hunting stuff all the time & you would not believe the condition some of his stuff is in when I get it. Yikes! I have a soft gun case that needs a new zipper waiting for me to do right now. Once he brought me a leather carpenters tool belt, full of nails, sawdust & held togther with duct tape, LOL.

Good luck
Old 05-17-2016, 12:44 PM

Thank you Feather for the fantastic help and ideas. My husband and I collaborate on his work aprons, vests and other clothing items. Since I made his first work apron many years ago, we have made a lot modifications to it. Such as adding new pockets, loops and pouches. So this hunting vest will be no different I suspect.
Old 05-17-2016, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk View Post
Thank you Feather for the fantastic help and ideas. My husband and I collaborate on his work aprons, vests and other clothing items. Since I made his first work apron many years ago, we have made a lot modifications to it. Such as adding new pockets, loops and pouches. So this hunting vest will be no different I suspect.
Glad I could help.

My husband wanted a hunting vest with those little loops inside a front pocket to hold individual shells, several pockets & a pouch on the lower back. If that wasn't fun to do. He comes up with all these ideas & I find a way to make it. I made him work aprons & then his co-workers all wanted one. I make his blue jeans shirts & they all wanted me to make them shirts...NOT! Be prepaired for your husbands co-workers to want you to make them stuff too. If you choose to do so, make sure you charge a proper price for it. You can't get custom/quality items made cheap anywhere.

I just took apart a very OLD jacket my husband had gotten 2nd hand a good 40 years ago...one of those old auto mechanic or Eisenhower type jackets with a zip out lining, waistband/adjust tabs, pockets, etc. They came in green or blue. He sort of out grew it (tummy), the fabric was wearing thin in several palces, & the lining zipper was falling apart. I made a pattern from the pieces, but had to alter & add inches for tummy, shoulders, sleeves, etc. I used a very nice red satin insulated lining fabric I had bought a good 30-35 years ago & used it for the zip out lining. I had to special order the lining zipper, as it was metal & none of the stores carry them anymore. I used the buttons off the original jacket...couldn't find those either. Long story short it fits him perfect & he loves it.

The Sailrite site is mostly for sail boat stuff, but they also carry fabric & items for upholstery indoor & out, and now some items for home. They have many items you can no longer find in local stores. I have one of their "111" machines & use it to sew many super heavy fabrics/leather/etc. They also have a project/tips section with how to videos.
Old 05-17-2016, 01:20 PM

My husband is retired, but our son's want Mom to make them things too. My project list before October hunting season is:
2 para cord rifle slings, and the hunting vest and a knapsack for my husband to carry his water, granola bars and beef jerky while hiking for a deer.

It will be my first time hunting, mostly I will stay at the camp though. I am looking forward to cooking venison which will be a new thing for me.

I too take things apart and use them as patterns, like my favorite Capri pants. I used to own my own upholstery shop and had all those different threads for outdoor use. When I sold my company the new owner got all of it.

Last edited by Chasing Hawk; 05-17-2016 at 01:23 PM.
Old 05-17-2016, 05:02 PM

Hawk: If your husband is lucky enough to "catch" a deer, don't plan on cooking it on that particular trip. He will need to field dress it (take out it's guts) and cool it quickly (pack cavity with ice), and then haul it out of the woods. It then has to hang for a couple of days to fully drain the blood. Then it can be butchered. Sounds like your husband is an experienced hunter, so he already knows this stuff. Just trying to be helpful...

Venison is yummy. Have you cooked it before? I love venison steaks and venison stew best.

Enjoy your trip!

Last edited by ILoveToQuilt; 05-17-2016 at 05:05 PM.
Old 05-17-2016, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by ILoveToQuilt View Post
Hawk: If your husband is lucky enough to "catch" a deer, don't plan on cooking it on that particular trip. He will need to field dress it (take out it's guts) and cool it quickly (pack cavity with ice), and then haul it out of the woods. It then has to hang for a couple of days to fully drain the blood. Then it can be butchered. Sounds like your husband is an experienced hunter, so he already knows this stuff. Just trying to be helpful...

Venison is yummy. Have you cooked it before? I love venison steaks and venison stew best.

Enjoy your trip!
I didn't plan on cooking any at camp. Most likely if my husband and son both get lucky enough to get one each. We will be packing up camp and heading home to dress it out.