Question -- using caps

Old 12-12-2010, 11:08 AM

I wouldn't worry about this, and I use all caps when I want to emphasize too. But you can also put the world in bold type or italics if you want to emphasize it and don't want to seem as if you're yelling. People misinterpret email messages all the time. I caused a family ruckus that lasted five years once because I said something tongue in cheek, and the other person, being sensitive (which I knew), thought I meant it. No amount of explaining would do. Sigh. You can't do anything about the reactions of others. You can only know your own motivation. If someone misunderstands, you can explain yourself, but that's all you can do. Put it behind you and move on.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:36 AM

i think it indicates yelling, but that's because when i do it i mostly AM yelling!! :lol: :lol:

and sometimes instructions, directions and explanations are so confusing that the people who are responsible for providing them
deserve to be yelled at.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:00 PM

I guess my reply to any that Caps offended is "you will know it when I yell"

Peg-TX
Old 12-17-2010, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by nativetexan
my hubby does everything in caps because he sees it better. sometimes i forget to change it!! :oops:
Mine does too.
Old 12-19-2010, 02:24 PM
Banned

block caps don't worry me, merely the tone of communication; some people get unnessarily picky, I have NEVER typed ,always had someone to do it for me and with PMR it is difficult esp with changing to and from block caps. If they take offence --ditch them.
Old 01-16-2011, 05:30 PM

I would have assumed from your email that you were very upset and needed attention. Caps are considered yelling or at the least a high emphasis whether good or bad. Who ever responded did exactly what was right, they contacted you to get the problem cleared up. They assumed you were unhappy over the situation. Weren't you unhappy? Didn't you want someone to help you?
Email etiquette considers caps to be yelling.
But whether or not you considered it yelling, it helped get you a response, which was, I believe, your intention. So, all is well that ends well! (did you get the classes figured out? Can you view them now? That's what was important!) :)
Old 01-16-2011, 05:43 PM

I just tried to type a reply and 4 times all but the first letter was caps sometimes when I do that the I get caps and don't notice till I am done if it is a long message I just leave it!! doesn't mean I am yelling just a typing error!
Old 01-16-2011, 06:06 PM

Man -- this came up again..................the situation is settled....only because I gave up. No, I didn't get the help. I've had to figure it out myself.