Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Questions/opinions re: Prelit outdoor wreath, battery operated >

Questions/opinions re: Prelit outdoor wreath, battery operated

Questions/opinions re: Prelit outdoor wreath, battery operated

Old 11-26-2016, 08:47 PM

Default Questions/opinions re: Prelit outdoor wreath, battery operated

I am considering buying a prelit outdoor wreath for my door, battery operated. I bought one several years ago and tossed it because in three hours the batteries were depleted and the lights were out. I was wondering if the led lights lasted longer than the standard twinkle lights which were on the one I had. I'd be interested in your opinions and recommendations if you have anything like this, both pro and con. Thanks!
Old 11-27-2016, 01:42 AM

Have you considered rechargeable batteries? Up front cost but then inexpensive from there on in. Don't know if I'd have the patience to change the batteries every day. But love my recharables and always have batteries at the ready. They are a bit pricey to start but this is the time of year they put the chargers and batteries on sale.
Old 11-27-2016, 11:41 AM
Power Poster

don't really know, but i imagine updated technology may help. maybe you got a rotten one too. i'd return b4 throwing out. good luck.
Old 11-27-2016, 04:07 PM

Rechargeable batteries aren't really a good choice here, because this wreath is for a relative who is over 90 years old and can't walk well and so can't be bothered with replacing batteries daily.
Old 11-27-2016, 04:25 PM

Is the wreath in a spot that you might be able to use solar charged batteries?
Old 11-27-2016, 08:17 PM

I wish. Front of house faces north. We talked tonight and she decided on an electric wreath hanging in a different spot, where the cord won't be in the way of the path to the front door. I also broke the news that she's not going to find a gorgeous prelit 6 ft diameter wreath for $20, lol. (Gotta love 'em, huh?)
Old 11-28-2016, 06:05 AM

A 6 ft diameter wreath for a door? Are we talking house or garage? Hmm, $20----DIY- hula-hoop, garland, a few ornaments, bow, string of lites...now with all the sales going on, might be on budget......
Old 11-28-2016, 07:39 AM

We have a pre-lit battery operated wreath and the batteries last a long time - more than one season. It is on a timer. You turn it on at the time you want it to come on and it stays on for something like 4 hours and then goes off. The same time the next day it comes on again. We are away for the holidays and I love it for that reason as it looks like someone is home with a wreath lit up on the door. We got it on clearance some years ago but can't remember where. We changed the batteries this year not because they didn't work but because we wanted to make sure they would last while we were gone. They were a couple of years old.
Old 11-28-2016, 01:06 PM

Thanks, citruscountyquilter! Good to know there are better ones out there than the one I had.

GeriB, that's an awesome idea! I never would have thought of using a hula hoop. Not sure if the new spot will accommodate one that big, though. Originally she wanted to hang it on the outside of the picture window, which would have accommodated a fairly large wreath, but would require batteries to operate it, since the outdoor outlet is on the other side of the door which is alongside the window.
Old 11-28-2016, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by JustAbitCrazy View Post
Thanks, citruscountyquilter! Good to know there are better ones out there than the one I had.

GeriB, that's an awesome idea! I never would have thought of using a hula hoop. Not sure if the new spot will accommodate one that big, though. Originally she wanted to hang it on the outside of the picture window, which would have accommodated a fairly large wreath, but would require batteries to operate it, since the outdoor outlet is on the other side of the door which is alongside the window.
if she used a hard wired lighted wreath she could connect to an outside extension cord, use those 3 m command hangers(I think they have some for outdoor use) and run the cord above window, over door, down to outlet.....just anther thought...