Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Quilt Camp - How many projects are too many? >

Quilt Camp - How many projects are too many?

Quilt Camp - How many projects are too many?

Old 09-15-2011, 10:29 AM

I guess this is one of those, "if you have to ask, then it's too many" questions :-), but I think I'm totally overloading myself for my upcoming camp. It's a 5 day camp - I'll be arriving after lunchtime on day 1 and leaving before suppertime on day 5. I am making kits of everything so I should have very little cutting. I am even doing some of the simple piecing and then cutting for some of the strip piecing. So here goes:

3 charm pack projects - using the 6 charm packs my mom gave me recently (2 of each). One will finish about 36", the other two (using same pattern) will finish about 43" x 49". Plan on quilting at camp also (we can use the cutting/layout tables to baste) - will just do basic stitch-in-the-ditch and/or "X" the blocks. Batting and backing are cut to about 4" bigger and ready to sandwich.

Mystery project - camp project, directions provided at camp, using a homespun kitchen towel & 1/4 yard coordinating fabric.

Scrappy Purple Pinwheels - baby quilt using purple & white scraps

Dad's Star Struck quilt - ongoing Bonnie Hunter pattern using scraps, final goal is double sized quilt for dad, but won't be finished anytime soon - just one of those "here and there" type projects.

Heads & Tails - small quilt/wallhanging from spring camp. Will have basted to do some hand quilting.

Heads & Tails 2 - based on the prior quilt - baby quilt using just 1 turtle. Goal is to be pieced.

Snowman Wallhanging - project from last fall's camp, just need to machine quilt & bind.

Green & Brown Caterpillar - Super sized Square on Point pattern from recent Quiltmaker magazine - pattern makes 2. Will use fleece for backing (so no batting) and turn fleece to front like some did here recently - http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-52843-1.htm

I'll be using this faux piped binding technique to do the binding on the charm projects & the snowman wallhanging, so they should finish fairly quickly :-).

ETA: realized I forgot the link to the tutorial for the faux piped binding ... http://tlcstitches.blogspot.com/2010...-tutorial.html

So nothing too terribly big, but still a lot. Of course, as I'm packing I keep pulling out more projects!
Old 09-15-2011, 10:37 AM
Google Goddess

Wow, you will be busy busy at quilt camp, have fun!
Old 09-15-2011, 10:55 AM

Holy Cow Woman!! Do you really think that you will be able to do all of those projects?? Don't you sleep once in awhile, eat, have some fun??

I like the binding method!!
Old 09-15-2011, 11:01 AM

I would take a lot - if you have the room. Once you get there you may not feel like working on a certain project and this way you will have lots to choose from. Have a great time away from cooking, cleaning, laundry etc. Let us know how much you get done!
Old 09-15-2011, 11:13 AM

Is your goal to finish the UFO's you have or to start and finish new projects. Seems like a good time to finish things with lots of friendly, uninterrupted support. Save the new projects to start if you have time. JMO, take them all and make a priority list but don't be afraid to deviate from it and Have Fun. Let us know what all you did!!
Old 09-15-2011, 11:37 AM
Power Poster

sounds like you will have plenty to do have fun
Old 09-15-2011, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Grama Lehr
Holy Cow Woman!! Do you really think that you will be able to do all of those projects?? Don't you sleep once in awhile, eat, have some fun??

I like the binding method!!

Eat? Sleep? Aren't there feeding tubes and caffeine for that? Just teasing. The camp provides the meals. The only thing set in stone at the camp is meal time. The rest of the schedule is subject to change. Meals are 8, 12:30, and 6. They give us a 10 minute warning and turn the lights out on us at meal time. :-) And yes, I will be sleeping :-D.

I hope to at least put a dent in my project list. What I don't get do will be packed for a retreat in October that I'm going to.
Old 09-15-2011, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by greensleeves
Is your goal to finish the UFO's you have or to start and finish new projects. Seems like a good time to finish things with lots of friendly, uninterrupted support. Save the new projects to start if you have time. JMO, take them all and make a priority list but don't be afraid to deviate from it and Have Fun. Let us know what all you did!!
Either. I purposely only signed up for the mystery project. Other years I've signed up for other projects and still haven't finished them (hence why 2 are on this years "to-go" list). It's a great time and everyone is super friendly.
Old 09-15-2011, 12:18 PM

where is this camp i want to go LOL
Old 09-15-2011, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by qbquilts
I guess this is one of those, "if you have to ask, then it's too many" questions :-), but I think I'm totally overloading myself for my upcoming camp. It's a 5 day camp - I'll be arriving after lunchtime on day 1 and leaving before suppertime on day 5. I am making kits of everything so I should have very little cutting. I am even doing some of the simple piecing and then cutting for some of the strip piecing. So here goes:

3 charm pack projects - using the 6 charm packs my mom gave me recently (2 of each). One will finish about 36", the other two (using same pattern) will finish about 43" x 49". Plan on quilting at camp also (we can use the cutting/layout tables to baste) - will just do basic stitch-in-the-ditch and/or "X" the blocks. Batting and backing are cut to about 4" bigger and ready to sandwich.

Mystery project - camp project, directions provided at camp, using a homespun kitchen towel & 1/4 yard coordinating fabric.

I learned something NEW on faux, piped bindings, thank you :)

Scrappy Purple Pinwheels - baby quilt using purple & white scraps

Dad's Star Struck quilt - ongoing Bonnie Hunter pattern using scraps, final goal is double sized quilt for dad, but won't be finished anytime soon - just one of those "here and there" type projects.

Heads & Tails - small quilt/wallhanging from spring camp. Will have basted to do some hand quilting.

Heads & Tails 2 - based on the prior quilt - baby quilt using just 1 turtle. Goal is to be pieced.

Snowman Wallhanging - project from last fall's camp, just need to machine quilt & bind.

Green & Brown Caterpillar - Super sized Square on Point pattern from recent Quiltmaker magazine - pattern makes 2. Will use fleece for backing (so no batting) and turn fleece to front like some did here recently - http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-52843-1.htm

I'll be using this faux piped binding technique to do the binding on the charm projects & the snowman wallhanging, so they should finish fairly quickly :-).

ETA: realized I forgot the link to the tutorial for the faux piped binding ... http://tlcstitches.blogspot.com/2010...-tutorial.html

So nothing too terribly big, but still a lot. Of course, as I'm packing I keep pulling out more projects!