Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Quilt Police Sting Operation >

Quilt Police Sting Operation

Quilt Police Sting Operation

Old 09-24-2011, 04:39 AM

Agree
Originally Posted by craftybear
please don't give up on quilting!
Old 09-24-2011, 04:41 AM

I use to take things to heart, and I ended up with very low self worth. Over the years I have learned not to let other people control my emotions. You control your emotions, not someone else. Now I feel sorry for people with the kind of attitude you described. I can only think of how unhappy they must be, but I do not allow them to pull me into their place.
Old 09-24-2011, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by connie_1936
you should have been given a supply list when you signed up for the class. the fault is the instructers not yours.
:thumbup:
Old 09-24-2011, 04:56 AM
Administrator

well, i'm very sorry to say so but i'm afraid i must agree with those who cannot see the situation from your own point of view.

Learning will nearly always result in mistakes - no matter who is teaching or who is learning. So, to have not taken a seam ripper or stitch picker along was not a wise choice. That choice was apparently based on an unfair and realistic expectation which you imposed on the teacher.

Unless I was specifically advised in advance that i should not bring pins, i would automatically take those along, also. (I happen to be a "pinner". If i was sufficiently skilled to never need pins, then i would have chosen accordingly.)

I think it's more realistic and practical to arrive on time for a class and to arrive with extra supplies in case i make mistakes from which i cannot recover easily or quickly. That's what is most practical for my own needs and more courteous to the instructor and other students.
Old 09-24-2011, 04:56 AM
Banned

you should have been given a supply list when you signed up for the class. the fault is the instructers not yours.
But she didn't say she did not receive the supply list.
Old 09-24-2011, 05:40 AM

I totally agree, and had it been me, I would have said... "Gee, I would have brought all those things, had I been given a supply list like most instructors give".
Old 09-24-2011, 05:40 AM

Live and learn. Perhaps you got something out of the class after all ;-)
Old 09-24-2011, 06:43 AM
Power Poster

Don't give up on classes.
Old 09-24-2011, 06:48 AM

There are a lot of online classes...I'm going to check out that Quilt University, I think it's called. I'm taking a new job and won't always have complete control over my schedule. Stuff happens. It's a pain for the teacher, too. Not defending how she handled it, but just let it go and learn from it. Takes awhile to get organized and know what to bring. Hang in there!!
Old 09-24-2011, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by lynn_z
... I had 3 hrs to learn what I wanted to learn so didn't think it would matter if I showed up a little late. I've only been to a few classes and the ones I've gone to before didn't require much so I didn't take much. Took enough precut pieces (barely) no thread, no seam ripper. I mean, if I have someone instructing me I shouldn't have to rip anything out...right? ... I grabbed my most abused rotary cutter because it was the only one I could find. ... Some of my pins had a little rust ... Anyway, she did say something I can use against her if necessary.
Seriously??!! YIKES!

You went to class late with no reason other than you thouight there was enough time to learn what you wanted. What about the rest of the class? If I'd paid to attend and somebody arrived late, honestly, I'd be annoyed that we'd have to wait while that person set up and got caught up.

Other classes didn't require much so you didn't take much. You should have been given a supply list, but if you weren't, you might have inquired what was needed. Depending on the expected outcome of the class, materials needed vary widely.

You took "barely" enough pieces (which makes me think there must have been some kind of required materials list), no thread and no seam ripper. Did you think you wouldn't need thread? As far as the seam ripper, none of us WANT to use them, but it's kind of a necessary evil. Even the most accomplished quilter makes mistakes.

You took rusty pins and an "abused" rotary cutter. How either of those would help one who is learning a new method/pattern/whatever is beyond me. I wouldn't use them at home, much less when I wanted to do something new.

But the most disturbing thing to me is the last line: She said something you can use against her?

If you had indicated that the instructor was hyper critical of everyone, put down people's color choices, didn't listen to legitimate questions, or was otherwise rude to the students, I would be inclined to agree that you had run into a member of the quilt police. From what you've said, though, I don't think that is the case.

I hope that somehow quilting will help you see the positive in situations, whether at home or in a class. Maybe you can look at where you started and what your work looks like now and think, "Wow, look how much I've improved!" Or if you can settle yourself and sew for a while and realize how much better you feel after, you'll know how calming an enjoyable hobby can be. Better still, if you give a gift that the recipient loves, whether it's perfect or not, because it was made and given from the heart, you'll know why most folks have taken this addictive interest up.

Peace and Joy,
Robin